1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evox Boot Disk How to burn it right

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by zeos101, Oct 21, 2003.

1. zeos101

zeos101 Member

Please help me ive wasted like 10 dvdr at this point ive got all the files i need i belive i cange the evox.xbe to default.xbe configure the ini file put about 90 megs of dummy crap in and make a iso with xiso then burn the iso with nero 6 and it just wont boot i know my mod chip is working under the green x it says excuter2 what do i need to name the iso after its created or does it matter?i put the disk in and let it spin up it says that its not a xbox disk then i power off and back on and get the same thing i know the media is good i used it to flash the bios thanks for any help you can give also i close the session and uncheck the joliet option

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  2. Monino

Monino Member

I'm kind of in the same pile of crap as zeos. I just got my CHAMELEON in the mail, and I've been trying to flash it with EVOX all night. Someone PLEASE post a layout of the way the EVOX boot disc should be. I'll use the layout i'm using as an example. This is the stuff i'm converting to ISO:

Folder - bios
    Folder - Skin
    Folder - Dummy
    Default.xbe
    evox.ini
    linuxbios.bin
    evolutionxbeta.nfo

That's it. I took the file EvoxD.6.bin from the BIOS folder and renamed it linuxbios, because thats what I understood from reading up from other sources. Anyways, What's wrong with my layout? Let's try to get a nice, informative and professional response. Thanks.

3. zeos101

zeos101 Member

i got mine working are you using nero 6 ?

4. Monino

Monino Member

I'm using NERO 5. Does it matter?

You said you got yours working? How did you layout your boot disc? Did you use CDRW? What kind? What did it look like after you flashed it? Also, what mod chip do you have?

Please answer ASAP. Thanks.

5. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Monino,
    Unless your chip was preflashed with a bios other than the Linux Bios your one step ahead of yourself. First you'll need to make a bios disc with either an X2 or Evox bios. Flash your chip. And then you'll be able to load the EvolutionX dash.
    They are 2 different steps and should be 2 different disc's.
    Check out the manuals on www.xodus-chip.com for Flashing the chip first.
    RustyDog

6. Monino

Monino Member

Ok, I changed my cd layout:

linuxbio.bin
    Folder - Stuff (60 mb dummy)

That's it. That's all I put in the cd. I used all the nero settings that were recommended (no joliet, 4x, finalize, disc-at-once, etc.) and it's still not working. I even tried making an xISO out of these two files, then burning them, but still no luck! When I pop the disc in my box, it spins a little while, but doesnt read anything. The "waiting for drive" thingy just keeps flashing. Right now, I need to know if I'm burning the right things on the cd, because if I am, then it's got to be the media I'm using, right? Please respond ASAP. Thanks.

7. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

Maybe you should try putting at least 200megs of dummy files. I've done this and it worked great!

8. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Could be that the XBox doesn't "like" the Brand of disc your using. Try another brand of disc. 4X sony and TDK work for me and try using either ISOMaker or Craxtion instead of XISO.
    RustyDog

9. Monino

Monino Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm using GDFImage to make the ISO because the ISOmaker and Craxtion downloads that I got from xbox scene dont work. I also went out and got a 25 pack of Memorex cdrw's and I'm using them at 4x. I put just about 210 MB's worth of dummy file on there and it still just sits at the "waiting for drive" prompt. I guess I could try using another iso compiler, but like I said the ones from xbox scene were not working. If anyone could please let me know where I could find working copies of ISOcreator and/or Craxtion, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh yeah, Is it normal for the screen to read "unable to read HDD first sector" at boot? Does it just mean there's nothing it can read on my HDD? Please W/B, anyone. Thanks.

10. GetModded

GetModded Guest

For Craxtion you can go here:
    www.craxtion.com
    You'll also find the files to eliminate the errors your getting.
    Try a different Brand of CD-RW. If your XBox doesn't like Memorex then it won't matter how you make or burn the ISO. SOme Xbox's are just pickier than others.
    RustyDog

11. Monino

Monino Member

I knew I should have gotten the 10 instead of the 25 pack... Ok, so I'm gonna go out and get some different brands or CDRW's and I'll check out that link for the craxtion stuff. Thanks all so far...I'll post any advancing that I do.

12. link25o

link25o Member

Monino, did any other brands of CD-RW's work? I'm having the same problem as you and it sucks. Do you have the Thompson drive?

13. sdfile

sdfile Member

Hello Monino
    Check this steps...

Burning EvolutionX dashboard

Your iso file is ready, and now it’s time to burn it to a CDRW (or DVD). Do not burn the ISO file that you created to a CD-R because most xbox’s cannot read CD-R media. CDRW and DVD are best.

To burn the ISO file you will need a program called Nero. There are other programs that are popular for burning ISO files including Primo, Veritas Recordnow Max, Discjuggler, etc. However, Nero is one of the most popular, so for this tutorial instructions for Nero will be illustrated.

Nero can be used to burn CD-RWs , but newer versions of Nero will also allow you to burn DVD-R/RWs.

Start Nero.
    Select "Recorder" > "Choose Recorder"

Select the burner you want to use ... and click "OK".

Now go to "File" > "Burn Image"

Browse your HD and select the .iso file , then press "Open".

Select "Write" and "Finalize CD".

Don't put "Write Speed" too high ... max 2x (or 4x if you have a quality burner) for CD-RW and 1x for DVD-R/RW.

Nero will start burning .... leave your PC alone till the CD/DVD is fully burned.

If your Xbox can't read it (make sure you have a modchip installed , duh) try :
    -put disc in drive , shutdown xbox and restart.
    -put disc in drive and reset xbox

Loading EvolutionX dashboard
    Now, take the CDRW (or DVD+R or DVD+RW) disc that you just burned using NERO and insert it into the Xbox. Don’t worry if your PC can’t actually read any of the files on the disc. Remember, the files are encoded in a format for the Xbox.

Turn on the Xbox and allow it to boot up. It should read the disc. If it does not read the disc, it may be because the Xbox does not like the media. Xbox’s are very peculiar and they don’t all like the same discs. One brand of CDRW that works in Xbox #1, may not work with Xbox #2. If it doesn’t boot, try to burn the ISO again with at least one or two different brands of media.

The Xbox should boot up and load the EvolutionX dashboard. You will see several options after loaded. Just scroll down and select "System Utils", then select "Settings" and then scroll down to "IP". This will show you the IP of your xbox on your network. You will need this IP address in order to connect to your xbox with your PC.

Next we will connect to your Xbox using an FTP program. The most popular FTP program for xbox modders is FlashFXP. You can download it here.

Start FlashFXP. When you load FlashFXP, the screen is divided into two parts. On the left side you should get the content of your PC HDD (hard disk drive). To switch between ftp/hdd use the top button on the right side.

On the right side , click the first top button and choose "quick connect".

Connect to your Xbox
    Now you will just need to fill in the IP that you got from the EvolutionX dashboard. The username is always "xbox" , the password is standard "xbox" (unless you got crazy and changed it in your evox.ini file). You may not need to enter a username and password at all, in which case just leave the port set to 21 and check off "Anonymous". Hit "Apply", then "Connect" and you should be in!

Backup your Xbox harddrive
    This is a VERY important part. You want to be sure that you have a backup of your original Xbox in case anything gets screwed up. Don’t worry, usually everything is cool, but just in case. On the leftside (PC harddrive) go somewhere with at least 300MB of free space. Then select "C" & "E" on the right side. Next, right-click and select "transfer". This may take a little while depending on the speed of your local network.

Enter the C directory on the Xbox harddrive (right side).

The last file should be xboxdash.xbe.

IMPORTANT:: if you have a special "hacked" bios that boots evoxdash.xbe or yboxdash.xbe instead of xboxdash.xbe you will need to make a small change to this guide. But, if you have an X-ecuter mod chip with a standard BIOS, then just follow the rest of these instructions.

Select the xboxdash.xbe file , right-click and select "Transfer As".

Fill in "msxboxdash.xbe" and click "ok"

Now go to the directory on your PC harddrive where EvoX is. You will now have a :
    * evox.ini file : make sure to open the file with notepad and configure all the settings (most important your network settings).
    * default.xbe : rename this file to xboxdash.xbe

When finished, transfer these 2 files to your C drive on the Xbox HDD.
    Evox.ini will just copy and for xboxdash.xbe it will ask if you want to overwrite the file , say "yes".
    You don't have to transfer the "skin" & "bios" directory. "skin" is used if you want to install new skins for EvoX , if u don't copy the skin directory you will just get the default skin.
    The "bios" directory is only needed if you will flash your onboard bios (tutorial) later on. (most people with a modchip won't use this).
    note: It doesn't harm thought if u move both the skins & bios directory to the C drive of your xbox.

Now go back where you transfered msxboxdash.xbe on your PC harddrive. And retransfer the file (with it's new filename) to the C of your xbox harddrive. (this will allow you to go the original microsoft dashboard from the evolutionx dashboard).
    This is how your C drive on your Xbox should look like. Your drive will probably not have the "backup" directory unless you already installed evox before.

xboxdash.xbe is the default.xbe from the EvoX release
    msxboxdash.xbe is the old xboxdash.xbe from your C xboxdrive.
    evox.ini is coming from the EvoX release

Remove the CD , turn off your xbox and restart.
    It should now boot up to the EvolutionX dashboard.
    If it doesn't work your xbox isn't doomed , you can still access the the xbox harddrive with the CD. (and if needed restore with the backup of C & E you made).

14. Monino

Monino Member

thanks but no thanks sdfile. that's the kind of stuff i'm trying to avoid because it feels like i've read the same thing 50 time over. Anyways, I think I made a breakthrough guys! I made an iso using nero. It included a 200+ mb dummy zip file, and the bios. the only thing I did different is I copied the bios like 4 times and gave them names that were suggested by other sources (linuxbio, linuxbios, cromwell, bios, biosupg1) so I dont know which bios filename it took. anyways, I burned it, then I booted up my xbox, and put the cd in when prompted to. On my first try it didnt work, I had to eject the cd, then close it about 3 or 4 times, but sooner or later it worked! It said something like "loading linux.cfg....found" or whatnot, and after about 10 seconds (it felt like 10 minutes I was so psyched!) the xbox shut down! I know that was a good sign, so I took a deep breath, powered up the box, and waited. the usual m$ flubber thingamajig came up, then the m$ dashboard showed up. that's it. Was this supposed to happen? what do I do now? can I just make the second evox cd? come on, write back ASAP!!! I want to get moving!!!

15. GetModded

GetModded Guest

What bios did you use?
    Using an Evox bios you won't notice anything different about the way your Xbox starts up unless you used a color mod bios.
    Using an Xecuter bios you will get the words Xecuter under the X at start up.
    Anyways it sounds like it flashed correctly.
    Next step is to download an Auto Installer App and set up the hard drive.
    I would recommend Team Xaviers Installer.
    You can get more info here: www.xbox100.com Look for xenomorphic or Niteman1969

RustyDog

16. Monino

Monino Member

Terrible news guys. I got myself in the bottom of a big hole full of crap. Ok, here's what I did: I flashed the bios with evox.6, then I made a disc with the rest of the evox files in it and used that. after that I hooked the xbox up to my pc via a crossover patch cable. it worked. I used flashfxp to connect to the xbox. I was following a tutorial pretty closely (I think) but anyways, I moved the xboxdash.xbe file over to a safe place in my hard drive, then replaced it on the xbox with the evox.xbe (renamed xboxdash.xbe, of course) now, I dont know if I put the wrong file in or what, but now it's giving me an error message whenever I boot up the xbox on bank0. It says "your xbox requires service" or something like that, and there's a 14 on the upper left corner of the screen. I read up on this and apparently I did screw up the dashboard. so now I am stuck. In my panic, I disconnected my xbox hdd and hooked it up to my pc. I was thinking that I could just drag and drop the dashboard file to the xbox hdd like that (I wish it's that simple) Help me guys. I dont want to have to go out and spend another $175. There's got to be a way out of this. *sob sob*
    any help would be appreciated. my email is shrek8585@yahoo.com Please W/B ASAP!

17. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Even though the hard drive is messed up you should still be able to boot from a boot disc. Probably the easiest way to fix the harddrive is to use either the Team Xavier or Slayer's Auto Installer. Just load the disc and reinstall the M$ dash and then Install the EvolutionX dash. No need to FTP or change any file names.
    RustyDog

18. Monino

Monino Member

gotcha rustydog, I will try that ASAP, but I gotta make a change to my last post. the error message isnt number 14, it's 16. Is there still hope for me? Thanks for all the help.

19. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Yes, that's still a dashboard error.

RustyDog

20. link25o

link25o Member

I know your having problems Monino, but I'm having trouble getting the evox cd to read...Do you have a Thompson drive, if so what brand of cd-rw's did you use to get it to load....

I already got through the bios update part with Memorex but when I go to install the Evox cd, it wont read it