1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard drive-- mobile

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by clay7676, Jan 23, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I asked this question a while back, but I didn't explain it well enough I think, so this time I'll try to be more precise.
    - I recently had purchased a Western Digital 250gb external hard drive. I use it on my desktop PC for things like movies and TV shows. It's great. To use this external hard drive though the USB has to be plugged in to my usb at my computer (which is fine) but it also has to be plugged in to an electrical output. Even to view files. I was wondering if there was a way to be able to just plug it in with the USB and just view the movie files to play em' without plugging it in to an electrical output. Example: going on a 10 hour car trip with a laptop

Comment back with answers
    Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i presume that is a 3.5" drive & if so than has to have external power because usb provides 5 volts but that hd needs 12 volts for motors to work. get a 2.5" laptop drive fitted into a 2.5" drive enclosure which i did with my 40gig wd laptop drive.

3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I'm a little confused by what you mean. how would a laptop drive help with this? please explain

thanks

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

a 2.5 will run off the power from a USB plug, 5.0 Volts, while a 3.5 needs 12 volts to operate,
    second cheaper option, buy a 12 volt power inverter which plugs into your car's cigarette lighter to power the external hard drive. Available at many auto part stores, Radio Shacks and electronic stores. Should be easy to find.

5. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

k, thank you