1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File system doesn't matter any more??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zedman, Jan 24, 2003.

1. zedman

zedman Member

In the tutorial "Copy DVD to DVD-R using DVD Decrypter (DVDs smaller than 4.36GB)" here, hxxp://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm , under Requirements it states "you need to have at least 4.36GB of free HDD space on ONE partition (file system doesn't matter any more)." I thought that if you had a FAT32 system there was a 4Gb file size limit or am I missing something?
    Any help please

Zedman_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Zedman[/small]

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

file size on FAT32 is approx. 4Gb that is PER FILE not in total.
    U can have a folder of 8Gb if u want but EACH FILE in that folder cannot be >4Gb approx.

Roughly speaking:
    DVD contains 1 or 2 folders
    AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS

In VIDEO_TS folder will contain ALL the dvd related files.
    These files are generally split into 1Gb FILES and can total to anything.

If u use dvd decrypter it can be setup to split files to certain sizes depending on what FAT ur using, but generally u do not need to do this.

With dvd decrypter on dvd less than 4.36Gb U WILL NOT ENCOUNTER FILE SIZE ISSUES ON A FAT32 FORMAT.

It is slightly different when it comes to re-encoding as generally u r left with a video file in excess of 4Gb and an audio file of 1Gb.

I use windows ME(FAT32) and dvd decrypter with no issues regarding file size.

Hope this helps.