1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five coasters in a row

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KDuong, Jan 28, 2007.

1. KDuong

KDuong Member

I have a Lite-on SoHW-1693S that I have been burning for years. Yesterday, it started to produce five coasters in a row. The disc seems to burn to about 1/6 of the DVD then the error incompatible media appeared (from DVD decrypter). I tried to burn using Nero with some known files and the same coaster happened. I checked the bottom of the disc and they seem to stop at the exact spot (1/6) when the error happened. I use Taiyo Yuden disc and also tried two Ritek disc as well. Is my burner death? Thanks in advance. Khanh

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

3. KDuong

KDuong Member

I have been burning these TY disc for along time ( more than 500s). I am trying to back up movie for my daughter. I also tried to back up home shot dvd movie of her recital (already in DVD). The same thing also happen using Nero disc copy feature.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it could be the movie that you are trying to copy. but you should be able to burn a copy of a home made DVD by just using Nero.... if this is the case either something is wrong with your software (like a driver of codec missing or something like that) or your burner is really shot! ok.... here is a program, free, that burns great! ImgBurn.... from the same people that made DVDDecrypter.. it's newer and more uptodate for burning: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    download and follow guides:
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=9c8474a9549d4470fd5311acda481dcc&showforum=4

if you are still unsuccessful then I would get the drive checked out. good luck.

5. KDuong

KDuong Member

I just tried to burn a CD-Rom disc and it failed half way through.
    I think the drive suddenly went bad. Is there any thing I can do like updating the driver? I am with 5.1.2535.0 version for the driver. Thanks

6. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

Always eliminate the simplest problems first. Clean your drive thoroughly. I've had this situation from time to time and a good cleaning solved the problem. (All props to the more senior members who have saved my a** more than a few times.)

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

cleaning the drive with compressed air in a can or a CD/DVD cleaner (that's a DVD that has a little brush to it) might work wonders. good luck.

8. KDuong

KDuong Member

How do you clean the drive then? I have a can of compressed air.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

spray inside the drive with the door open! try it, just might do the trick.

10. KDuong

KDuong Member

Well, I opened up the drive and sprayed clean the lens. There is not much dust or dirt at all. I think I will throw in the towel here.