1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing my XBox without Microsoft's help...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by KrazyKyle, Jan 7, 2005.

1. KrazyKyle

KrazyKyle Guest

Okay, here's my problem: My Xbox, after 2 years of faithful service, is having problems. Sometimes, it works without a hitch. But, much more often now than before, it doesn't. I try booting it up with the Power button, it goes through the load-up screen, but usually jerks a little as the word "XBox" comes across the screen. The word "Microsoft" that should appear below it in little white letters doesn't show up, and instead the CD light (big round one) starts blinking red and green and a screen shows up on the TV in multiple languages that says my XBox needs service. No shit! Anyways, it looks like there's a number 11 up in the upper left-hand corner of the screen in this error screen, although it has been 13 before, as well as another number, I think, but mostly 11. Looks like a number, anyway...

Anyways, this is a problem, because I already called XBox support and asked them what I should do, and I'd have to send my damn XBox to Kentucky (from Florida), wait 8 days for it to be fixed, then get it back, assuming no one stole it or "lost" it along the way, and EVEN THEN, the guy said they couldn't guarantee my saved games on the HDD inside would still be there. And, as I enjoy KOTOR I & II, as well as Morrowind, there's no way I can even fit one KOTOR save onto any memory card to preserve them (memory cards hold something like 500 blocks, ONE Knights of the Old Republic save is 1600 blocks )

And I WILL NOT start over from scratch!!!

So... what's my problem and how do I go about fixing it? I'm not too technical, especially with computers, but I know someone who is a techie, Microsoft-certified, although he knows nothing about how to do anything with an XBox.

Please help :( I want to know the easiest, least tech-intensive way to fix my XBox. If at all possible, I want to avoid modding/chips/etc. All I want is my old, functional XBox back. I don't need a bigger aftermarket harddrive or anything else not stock with the XBox. All I want to do is fix it and keep my saved games, and find the easiest, most cost-effective way to do both.

Well... any suggestions, or even other possible solution at least to the dilemma of saving my games to some storage media if I decide to send my XBox to Microsoft for repair? I'm at the end of my rope, so please, someone... help :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2005
  2. rockdj

rockdj Member

Hi m8,
    Errorcode meanings can be found here
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/errorcodes.php

I can't tell you how to fix your xbox but if you want to keep your game saves you could always use a hacked gamesave to fire up linux or evox on your xbox and then ftp all the gamesave files across to your pc. When you get your xbox back do the same again but copy them back the other way.

All this info can be found on Xbox Scene. Check out the forums especially.

3. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

damn no dvd can be found is what 11 mean's it sound's like you have one of the older xbox's with the crappy cd drive you can go online to parts stores and buy a new xbox drive then just replace the cd drive

this will fix your xbox and deal with your problem mine ran into the same problem about a month ago so i took my xbox apart and replaced the cd drive and dusted out the inside because damn do those xbox's suck dust.

and it works

4. KrazyKyle

KrazyKyle Guest

Well, I thank you both for the help :) I looked up the error code on LLamma.com, I believe, and found out the same thing. $100 later, I have the Phillips drive, as well as a new, high-speed IDE cable, on their way. Weird that the drive conked out, though: although I have a 1.0 version XBox, it has a Phillips DVD drive in it, not a Thompson. Weird. Anyways, thanks for the help :)

5. MXGzX

MXGzX Member

did you try messing with the ide and power cables to the dvd drive before you just blew $100 based on theoretical information?

6. KrazyKyle

KrazyKyle Guest

Yes, I did. My friend came over, and we tried an IDE cable he had, as well as trying to tighten up the old IDE cable on the connectors first, before deciding we needed a new drive. I'm too cheap to do something like buy a $100 DVD drive without having a good reason. And chill out, man; It's not like it's your money or something ;)