1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus/Tracking error on LG GSA 4081B

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by nato1200, Nov 17, 2004.

1. nato1200

nato1200 Member

My GSA 4081B drive has recently started giving me the focus/tracking error and toasting discs. I put it another machine, opened and cleaned the laser lens, and updated the firmware. Still get the same problem. I have read some different thread on some other boards I found via google, but nothing that has solved the problem. I read one instance of a UDMA(?) - PIO problem where the hardware setting was being set to PIO. I don't have that issue.

The 2 machines I've had it in are:
    Dell
    P3 733
    384 ram
    XP pro

and

MSI
    P4 3.0 Ghz
    1 gig ddr400 ram
    XP pro

Any suggestions besides using a ball peen hammer?

edit: after cleaning/machine change to the MSI, one disc burned successfully. Then failures began again. Upgraded firmware and 2 failures at 2x and 4x.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  2. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Hey I've recently been getting this error and no settings have been changed on my computer. I researched and found out that updating the firmware to A110 should solve the problem, but it seems that I can't do so. My computer has now changed my dvd burner from being recognized as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B [FW A101]" to "AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device". I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but it still is consistantly being recognized as "AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device". Since it is being recognized as that, I am unable to update my firmware. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hunter007

By the way, my burn's got to 86% before the error's occured.

3. nato1200

nato1200 Member

Thats about how long it takes for mine to error. If I can't find a solution, I guess it's time to upgrade. I'm waiting for DVD-R DL, but can't find much info on it.