1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fourcc "o" .avi files...tell me if I'm wrong

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by JARUIZ, Sep 19, 2003.

1. JARUIZ

JARUIZ Guest

I was getting pretty frustrated that a lot of the .avi files I was getting were refusing to play...actually they would play but on;ly a blank screen would appea I D/L GSPOT after reading a post on a now dead, sililar thread and it pretty much confirmed somethings I was thinking I THINK. FOURCC "0" doesn't refer to a codec, it refers to the lack of needing one, although the file said it was enccoded in another codec, it also said it doesn't need one (I got kinda confused on that point. BUT then I looked at the audi section which showed NONE was used. I had earler looked at the files properties and under the advanced section most of these files showed something like a 3 or 4 FPS, and really low bit rate. While Gspot made it all clear I now see I didn't really need it, a file encoded in 3fps wouldn't be very interesting now would it..Now if I think for the most part I can just use the properties section of a file (right clicking) to check instead of going through the hassle of opening Gspot everytime. I'm still keeping Gspot (for other things it's quite handy) though. AM I right? Does really low encoding properties indicate a file is bogus????

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

FourCCs are used to identify your movie's video stream with codecs that are able to decode it. For example a fourCC of DX50 would mean that the movie was encoded with a divx 5.xx codec and only the divx codec or a filter which supports the playback of divx material(FFDshow) will be able to decode the movie.
    The Xs refer to the version number of the codec used, 5.0 5.01 5.02 etc...

So if a movie has a fourCC of 0, odds are that it was compressed with something other than a video codec and therefore not watchable.

Hope this helps.

Youll find more info on this site:
    http://www.fourcc.org_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If a movie doesnt have video compression then the 'name' field under Video will say none and the FOURCC is inconsequential and the movie will play. If any other instance there are two possibilities: (1) its a fake which is highly likely and (2) something wierd happened lol

4. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

most likely a fake