1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Rate Judder driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Titch, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Titch

Titch Guest

When converting dowloaded avi files to mpeg, with any 25fps, 29.97fps, using virtualdub to decompress etc then tmpge to convert, absolutely no problems, tried and done everything (i think) by now.
    However whenever i use a file which is 14.985fps or 20fps or 10fps i seem unable to eliminate the dreaded frame rate judder.
    Can this be avoided and still produce a standard compliant vcd???

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No, not really :) Clips with invalid fps are normally considered as "crap".

3. Titch

Titch Guest

OK, thanks for your precise and rapid response, at least i know i am not doing anything wrong!
    And the ones that work out ok, i'm obviously doing well.
    But i'm still confused why there is so much video footage available, some of which appears to have a very good quality picture, which is 20fps.
    Presumably a lot more people are happy to watch stuff on their pc than try and put it on disc?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Those are normally made by same people who create 320x240 MPEG-1 clips -- read: people who don't have a slightest idea of video standards. Normally those clips are created by newbies who got a cheap video capture card when their daddy bought them a new PeeCee for X-mas present. And those capture cards found inside special marked cereal boxes normally are not able to capture real TV resolutions (704x576 or 704x480). Or people think "this takes too much HDD space, I wanna B 31337 and capture the thing directly to DivX using 1-pass and crap quality" and have set their fps rates and video size so that their PC can do it -- but the machine drops some frames and you get average fps of 20 or 15 or something like that. And then they share those pieces through P2P tools and you end up having trouble with those thingies.

That's why I capture and encode all my videos myself.

5. Titch

Titch Guest

Totally cool reply dRD, now i understand the tech. reasons behind why this happens.
    (Still grinning about the x-mas present scenario, i know of so many people like that)
    Anyway, now i have sorted all the conversions i am ever likely to need, i will sure start to learn about video capture, after all most of my mates still have enormous video collections of stuff i wouldnt mind on vcd.
    Will write again next time a wheel falls off