1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GBA Roms in slot1 solution, why not?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by madmans, Feb 21, 2007.

1. madmans

madmans Member

Just curious if anyone knows. Why is it we can get DS roms to run in slot2 devices, why is it the reverse is not possible in slot1?

Is there a reason they cannot patch gba roms to boot from slot1?

Or is it just the fact that slot1 solutions are still new, and this is someththing that could be acheived in the future.

2. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

Even with a slot-2 adapter you are required to use a slot-1 Passcard to allow playing of NDS games. Perhaps the same would be true if you wanted to run GBA games using a slot-1. Why make a slot-2 Passcard when slot-2 devices already do the job well?

Creating an all-in-one slot-1 adapter might be possible however there is no urgency to design or research one since solutions (slot-2 adapters) already exist.

3. twyphoon

twyphoon Member

the big thing that was supposed to revolutionize the DS-GBA connection was pokemon pearl/diamond, since it uses a GBA DS link to exchange pokemon from the old GBA to the new DS

4. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

Slot-1 uses the ds and slot-2 uses the built-in gba. The ds isn't powerful enouph to emulate a gba, so the slot-1 cards can't use it.

5. BLaZe777

BLaZe777 Member

but the gba is powerful enough to emulate the ds? check yourself

6. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

Lol, what do you think a passcard is for? You can't run ds roms in gba mode, the passcard boots data from the slot-2 m3, running from slot-1 and reading from slot-2, making it able to run ds roms reading from the sd card, check YOURself, noob.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. 3dluis

3dluis Regular member

Can't they just make a full speed emulator....

8. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

3dluis, is that you? Back in the day from the psp forums? I haven't seen a post from you in a long while

9. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

What did I just say? :p

10. 3dluis

3dluis Regular member

How could the ds not be powerful to emulate GBA when you can play gba......

To Kafluke, yes it is me

11. nintenut

nintenut Regular member

To emulate a system, the device your running the rom from needs to be about 7x more powerful than the thing it's emulating. Apparently the ds isn't that much more powerful...

12. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I'll start with this:
    The main reason is because Nintendo never designed the DS to be able to play GBA from Slot-1 (infact GBA mode does not know slot-1 exists). However they did design it so that Slot-2 could run DS code should they ever need to (expansion packs for games?, various other reasons?) And this got exploited to our favour (running of patched DS ROMs)

Due to this, it is not possible to run anything in GBA mode from Slot-1. It is also not possible to emulate GBA as the DS is not powerful enough for emulation.

No it's not. if your refering to the GBA slot (slot-2) of the DS running patched DS games, this is not emulation, as the DS hardware is being used to run the game, it is just loading from a different location.

Now it may be posisble to somehow load small GBA files (<256k) into RAM and then switch to GBA mode, however this would then stop using Slot-1, preventing anything else from being loaded form the card, I also don't know if the GBA RAM is acessible in GBA mode, or if when switching the RAM is cleared.

Basically I don't see any real GBA playback from slot-1 happening any time soon, if ever.

13. twyphoon

twyphoon Member

ok, call me stupid or rediculous, but what if you could edit/transform the .gba files to .nds? its probably really complicated and easier said than done, but just an idea

14. KevBoy55

KevBoy55 Member

I have sumpthin i wanna say...Howz come i can run DS emulators on an old P2. This P2 only runs 533MHz. So please explain, because the harware on my DS Can match or acell that. And btw it has 256 Ram with a stock dell board.

SO if any of uz guys can please offer an xplanation, ill apreciate it, because by what your saying...to run DS hardware i should have atleast 3.0GHz processor with atleast 512mb in it..

15. handsom

handsom Regular member

@Kevboy

First off, your comment really serves no productive purpose here.

Secondly, I'm going to come out and say that a 533Mhz *DELL* is not running a DS emulator 100%. Which leaves either A.)You're very confused, or B.) You have nothing better to do than make things up.

Further supporting my statements, a 500Mhz is barely able to run GBA emulation, especially if you want ANY degree of resolution enhancement. This comes both from personal experience, as well as NUMEROUS confirming sources.

I'd like to think higher of you and say that you have faster than a 500Mhz, and don't realize it; but it could also be that you're just plain full of it.

To test this, could you possibly send a screenshot of Phoenix Wright running on your emulator?

16. KevBoy55

KevBoy55 Member

sure...im downloadin the game now...ill show the system properties too.

17. KevBoy55

KevBoy55 Member

18. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

that's because the emulators are rather limited, we don't have one that works with all/most of the games yet. 2d usually runs fine. i think what everyone means is, that to get a smoothly running emulator, you need a machine that is much more powerful than what you are trying to emulate.

19. KevBoy55

KevBoy55 Member

Yea it still runs tho..Just not smooth its Kinda Glitchy tho...as u can see with the lines on the bottom screen...but what can ya do

20. jonnymint

jonnymint Member

actualy those lines on the bottom screen are there on the actual game, there meant to be there