1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GD Simulator: 100Mbit connection problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by DonGio, Nov 26, 2004.

1. DonGio

DonGio Member

Hi all
    I'm having trouble getting GC Simulator to work at 100Mb/s I've tried connecting using standard RJ45 cables and going through my router, and using a crossover cable directly to the computer.
    My setup:
    Realtek RTL8139 10/100 NIC
    Set to Auto Mode
    IP adresses and DNS set up correctly on the GC and PC
    And everything is connected properly.
    Using PSO I disc, Gamecube Simulator and PSOloadV2.0a

When i connect via the cross over cable:
    Starcube Loadscreen comes up. At this time on my PC i popup notice from XP "A network cable is unplugged"
    If i pick BBA speed:100Mbit Full/Half duplex I end up with a message saying "Initialization Error"
    If I pick BBA speed:10Mbit Full/Half duplex game works but is slow.

When i try connecting via the router and straight through cable:
    Pick 100Mbit Full/Half duplex game loads, sound crackles and then the game locks up within 10-15 seconds of loading.

The cables seem to be fine by me, I've used them for other transfers at 100Mbit.
    Any ideas of what could resolve this problem? Be nice to get it going at 100Mbit/s
    Thanks,
    -Don Giovanni

2. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

i have exactly the same configuration with you and i got the same error message as you do. then i tried my main nic(the realtec i bought it just for gamecube and the other one i use it for internet connection) and it worked flawlessly. i tried several ways to get the realtek to work but i just couldn't. so if you want to stream games with the 100mbit/s option buy another different nic (i recommend getting a 3com-that's the one i'm using for the 100mbit option)

3. smell_it

smell_it Member

I have this problem (on the starcube screen)
    BBA Speed: 100 Mbit Full Duplex- Please wait...- INITILIZATION ERROR
    BBA Speed: 100 Mbit Half Duplex- Please wait...-
    INITILIZATION ERROR
    BBA Speed: 10 Mbit Full Duplex- Please wait... -
    (Freezes!)
    Anyone help please?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  4. Clete2

Clete2 Member

What is this GC Simulator and where can I get it?

5. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

How does one see that the 100 Mbit option is working???
    The starcube screen pops up with the option 100 Mbit full duplex...so, does this mean it works cuz I've watched my NIC up-down speed and it doesn't work at the fullest.

grtz GrMbL...

BTW: Smell_it, be sure that your NIC is set to auto-detect for the duplex thingy...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  6. smell_it

smell_it Member

yeah, iv learnt that its a issue with the card, iv got another which im gonna try it with

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

To all:

Seems that the NIC's are the issues with your configurations. Realtek's are really cheap and have problems from my experience. Also I have yet to get an on-board NIC to function properly at 100BaseT either half or full duplex. As an IT professional, I stick to 3Com NIC's and I have yet to have any streaming problems using them.

8. DonGio

DonGio Member

Yeah, I noticed in some other threads people have said that 3COM cards work well. It's nice to have an IT guy backing that too.
    I bought a used 3COM 3C905CX-TX-M 10/100 for $5.00 CDN on ebay (new ones sell for $35+). I noticed someone else said they had that same card and it worked for them.

When the card arrives I'll post back and let you know how it works.

Maybe people could post what other brands and specific models have worked for them?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

That was probably me actually. I get mine off of www.pricewatch.com and can usually get them for $17 U.S. depending on supply & demand at the time.

10. snaponyou

snaponyou Guest

Hi all
    I use Phoenix 2.50 "gc loaders: gc simulator" to load gc games and the first time i use it i get the same error "initialization Error"
    i resolve it with set my pc ip address 192.168.1.100 sm 255.255.255.0 and ngc ip address 192.168.1.32 sm 255.255.255.0 . Now i play all the game that don't save on the memory
    Use emule to download phoenix 2.50
    Sorry for my bad english and i hope to be helpfull

11. DonGio

DonGio Member

I received my 3COM 3C905CX-TX-M the other day. Installed it and tested it out.
    I kept the Realtek card in to use for my LAN connection and the 3com I put in to use exclusively for the GC.
    First attempt I a message came up in PSO saying that it couldn't connect to the server. I assumed it was just the Realtek causing problems with the other network card somehow, so I went into Network Connections in windows and temporarily disabled the connection on the realtek and tried again.
    I was able to connect and stream games at 100Mbit Full duplex np...
    So for anyone else having problems like this, just get a used 10/100 3Com card, or find a new one for cheap somewhere, it makes a world of difference.

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You shouldn't have to disable the other NIC to get the the 3Com to work. It depends on what IP address you have assigned to the Realtek card. Does it still have the 192.168.1.x address? If so remove it and you won't have a problem.

13. DonGio

DonGio Member

Here are my settings:
    Realtek card connected to my router
    IP 192.168.1.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (address of my router, although I’m sure I don't need to tell you that)
    DNS server addresses match the ones from my router

3com connected directly to GC with a crossover cable
    IP 192.168.1.100
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (is it a problem that they both use the same subnet mask...i didn't think this should matter?)
    Default gateway and DNS info is left blank for this card
    Internet connection works fine.
    When I try to stream games, in PSO I get the "Connecting to DNS server" screen...it sits there for a while trying to connect and eventually I get the “could not connect to server message”.
    If I go in and disable the LAN Connection and then try steaming games it works pefectly.
    It's not that big of annoyance, but like you said, the two cards should both be able to be connected and function at the same time without such problems. It's odd...

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you want to use both NIC's at the same time you will need to change the address assigned to the Realtek card since it's address is in the same subnet as the 3Com's. The 3 255's in the netmask value indicate that the first 3 parts to the address are the network number. Change the network number on the Realtek card to something other than 192.168.1 and you will be able to use both network adapters at the same time. Note that if you change the Realtek's address as I suggested you may have to change the addresses of all the rest of the network equipment/PC's the Realtek is connected to in order to communicate successfully.

15. DonGio

DonGio Member

Thanks Icemonkey. It works perfectly now. I always wondered what the point of a subnet mask...

16. neutek

neutek Member

Realtek users should be able to solve this problem i did by simply upgrading my drivers to these:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/realteknic.html

Realtek RTL 8139/810X PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Driver 6.18

this gave me more options on my old realtek nic card,.
    although it did succesfully boot in all modes (solved initialization error) on starcube GC simulator loader i have yet to see any performance increase in the following games:

Naruto 2 (still jerky on movies / froze on title)
    F-Zero (stopped working on 100mbit full duplex)
    mario kart (time out on 100mbit full)

Do 3com owners or anyone else have any improvements in there games using 100mbit??? if so what games?

17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sounds like your driver update may have fixed the initialization error but not the root cause of that error. My 3Com runs F-Zero just fine with negligable performance issues as well as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with slight stutter in FMV sequences. It still sounds to me like Realtek cards are just too low quality for performance intense networking applications.

18. hardcoire

hardcoire Member

Hi all! I've got the same error than Smell_it.

19. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Some of the newer versions of the Starcube 100Mbit loaders are having that problem even on my 3Com NIC. The only one I have gotten to work properly is the initial beta release. What make/model NIC are you using and how are you connected?