1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geforce 7800 gsoc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bojan087, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

hey i just got my geforce 7800gs oc, agp 8x/4x, 256mb ddr3 from newegg. and another gig of ram, so i have 1.5gb right now. i installed battlefield 2 and it seems to be lagging so bad. its worse than my old video card which was a radeon 9600pro 256mb. im not sure if i did anything wrong because im pretty sure that i installed all the nesessary drivers and files that came with the video card. any help would be appriciated. i have a p4v88 motherboard and a 200gb hard drive. with a 350-400psu, not sure which one it is tho. any help would be appriciated

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

A couple things I could think of off the top of my head are 1) your power supply can't handle your new videocard so your videocard isn't operating correctly or B) your RAM isn't running in Dual Channel mode, which is considerably faster. A easy way to check if option "B" is your problem all you would have to do is remove the stick of RAM you just installed and see if the game runs any faster. If it does your ram wasn't running in Dual Channel mode, and to fix that you would need 1 more stick of ram or leave the new stick of RAM out. If the RAM isn't the issue then I would move onto the videocard.

3. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

do you think i could buy a higher voltage psu and try it out. but what if that doesnt work out what are my other options, because im thinking about getting one from staples and see how it works out if not than im pretty much stuck. i checked my previous ati to see if it was still on the hard drive but i unistalled all of those files. i'll post tomorrow and let u know what goes on

4. steimy

steimy Active member

i can tell you that the card you have should have no problem at all running that game. I have a PCI-E version, GeForce 7600GT with 2GB of RAM and it will play pretty much anything flawless including the most demanding game out now Rainbow 6 Vegas.

5. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

yea i know that people arent having too many problems with it. like i said around 4pm today ima try and get a high voltage power supply and use only 2 stick of ram and see any difference.

6. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

i definitely wouldn't buy any computer parts from staples because they often cost much more there than in a specialized computer store. try looking for a comp store in your neighbourhood cuz it could save you a few $$

7. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

ok i switched my ram into dual channel mode, there was just a little bit better performance but it was still really laggy, the voice was stumbling and the image wasnt great at all, very poor quality right now, going over to check on the psu if possible

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does the card want for psu & is that card connected to the psu?

9. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

on the box it sais it needs a 400w psu, and it has that 4 connectors that attach to the video card. i have a 350w psu but im gonna try and getting a more powerful psu unit and see if it gives me the performance boost, if not im going to try and contact nvidia support

10. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

got a 500w power supply at staples for 95$ :-(, which im gonna return. the performance was still the same. under the 1gb dual channel mode or the 1.5gb of ram. i installed the 93.71 verison of the video card cuz nvidia costumer service told me to install after i got off the phone with them. they also said i need to upgrade chip set for my botherboard but i dont have a floppy drive or floppy disk. can upgrading the motherboard chipset unlock the potential of the video card?

11. ddp

are they talking about bios update or motherboard chipset software update? what is the chipset as in intel, via or sis? who makes the board?

12. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

13. ddp

14. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

kk, im about to download it, i'll post back in aprox. 10 minutes

15. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

well i downloaded it, and extracted all, and ran the program, restarted my computer, started the game and it was still very laggy, didnt seem to have any difference than how it was before. im really stuck at this point, not sure if i should return the card and forget about the game or what not to do.

16. a7xsoad

a7xsoad Regular member

Could be a problem with the settings you have to game in. What resolution is it in? Do you have everything maxed out?

17. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

no i put the settings on medium, and even under medium it had a setting for high and i set that high setting to medium, but it even lags on low quality, but my previous cheaper card wasnt lagging on the low settings. thats where im confused

18. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

well i couldnt figure out the problem, so i went back to the 350w psu, and my old cheap graphics card and tried to play it with the 1.5gb of ram, and on the low settings there wasnt much difference so im probably going to end up returning the 500w psu and the new video card tomorrow or some time this week. thanks for anybody who tried to help me, i really appriciate it

19. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

what if its the game? why dont you try the video card on a different game?

20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Nissan101's post gave me an idea, it could be an in game issue like he/she said so another thing you should do is make sure you are updated to the latest version of your game. So whatever the game is get the most recent update patch and away you go.