1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Solder to suck into lpc points

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by cavboomer, Aug 15, 2003.

1. cavboomer

cavboomer Guest

How did you guys get the solder to go into the holes where the header pins are? My solder was just big dense blob. Should i use more flux. I need it liquidy to get it into the holes. Please don't give me a guide or anything, just tell me in your own words. Thanks a lot.

2. shank69ox

shank69ox Regular member

I never use any flux,but thats just me.As far as filling the holes goes,I just tin the tip of the soldering iron and put it over the hole and the solder just flows in.Never had a problem.I have done over 30 1.1 XBOX's

3. cavboomer

cavboomer Guest

How do you put the iron over the hole? There is a pin there. Do you mean you put the iron on the tip of the header pin?

4. shank69ox

shank69ox Regular member

I guess I dont understand what you mean.There is no hole if you have a pin in the hole.And then still just put a small amount of solder on to the tip of your iron and place it on the pin on the bottom of motherboard,and it should flow right in.

5. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

If you are trying to solder a header block in then you need to take the motherboard out and do it from the back. Place your iron on the pin until it gets hot (no more than 3 or 4 seconds) and then touch the solder against the pin. The solder should flow around the pin and hole holding it in place.