1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabit Ethernet Setup???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by scrubz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. scrubz

scrubz Guest

I just bought a Gigabit ethernet card hoping to increase my bandwidth and dl rate. I have only one problem... the cable company I get my internet from, has a Terayon Cable Modem they issue as it will only allow 10/100 through the connection but i was told there is certain ways to configure it so that it will accept 10/100/1000. Does anyone know how to bypass this issue so i can get the increase on my connection rate???

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Cable modems will not do 100Mbs - their throughput is generally limited to 10Mbs (perfectly adequate for a typical ISP bandwidth).
    Maybe you could get something hooked up at 1000Mbs... but why do you think that would increase your connection rate?
    10Mbs = 1.25MBs (which is four times my Sympatico highspeed connection of ~300KBs).
    But it's a nice thought though...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  3. scrubz

scrubz Guest

I was told there is a way to bypass the modem to get better download speeds. Im using Shaw Highspeed Cable Internet, if anyone is familiar with it, and im using a terayon cable modem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2005