1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got myself an s-video cable, but all is not peachy

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Ghostdog, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

I recently bought a 5-metre s-video cable so that I could watch DVD´s and other videos on my telvision (I have a DVD-ROM in the PC which I use for watching DVD´s). I hooked up the cable from the TV-out on my graphics card to the s-video input on my new TV. The transmitted image seems OK except for the fact that it´s black & white.

I tried using different resolutions and refresh rates on the computer but the image remained black & white.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I paid a good sum for the cable and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to get a full-color image or if I should take the cable back to the store.

Also, the cable isn´t supposed to transmit audio right?

Thanks for any advice.

2. fehrion

fehrion Guest

I had a similar problem - bought a 5 metre svideo cable which worked fine for a while then started playing up by only showing black/white - on checking the cable plugs I found one of the pins bent back. When trying to fix it the pin broke off. I haven't bought a new cable yet to confirm that this is what caused the problem. I also transferred audio with a different cable. By the way is it me or do others find it difficult plugging these cables in?

3. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

After destroying a PS2 mouse by plugging it in the wrong way I was very careful when attaching the cable.
    The pins seem fine to me.

4. fehrion

fehrion Guest

I've now bought a new svideo lead and it was also black/white. However, my system has a choice on the svideo connection screen - svideo or composite - on choosing composite I had colour. And yes, you do need a separate audio cable. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
  5. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

The reason I went with s-video over composite was that I read that it provides a higher-quality signal and because my TV and graphics card have s-video connectors.
    Guess I´ll have to go back to the store and ask them what could be the problem. I doubt it´s a faulty cable, but it might still be worth a shot having the cable exchanged.

6. fehrion

fehrion Guest

Do you mean that by using composite I am not recording through my svideo connection and therefore will get a lower quality recording? The only connection I have is an svideo lead and have chosen the composite setting. Is this not a correct way to use the svideo lead.
    By the way I am using the lead to record on my system from my satellite receiver.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2004
  7. modelt

modelt Member

You probably have a bad cable. S-video splits the signal into two parts luminance and color. The lumincance is black and white information basically. Sounds like the connection for the color is bad.

8. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

So are you using a pure s-video setup but your TV is set at composite input?

9. fehrion

fehrion Guest

Well as far as I am aware I am using a pure svideo setup but my computer is set at composite input. I am recording to my computer from the TV. Sorry if I have not made this clear.

10. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Well if there is a setting for using s-video instead you could try using that. But if composite works fine then there shouldn´t be a need to change it. If your are indeed using s-video cables and connections then I suppose the quality of the videosignal should be at s-video quality.

11. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Ghostdog,

I came across this problem a couple of years ago.

Output from PC to Panasonic 32 inch widescreen using s-video cable gave me a black & white picture.

I traced it down to: WAIT FOR IT!!!

When you select AV input on the TV, there is a further selection for the AV input between standard and s-video (may be a sub-menu).

All I had to do was press the AV button ONCE MORE (in quick succession) and BINGO!!

This WAS NOT IN THE MANUAL.

It worked for me, it MIGHT work for you, give it a go.

Good Luck.

12. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Thanks for the tip, I´ll check it out.
    The thing is, by pressing the AV button it switches between the three different AV-connection.

But I´ll try other buttons.

13. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Thank you so much Dr. Chips, that´s exactly what the problem was. The input was set at Video, when I changed it to S-video I started receiving a full-color signal. The colors are a bit bland when compared to the monitor, but I guess that can´t be helped (except by adjusting the TV´s settings).

Thanks again everyone.

14. drchips

drchips Active member

Glad to be of service, Ghostdog.

Just for your info, if you can get hold of some technical data for your TV, you can dive in and change the default amp setting for s-video input so it matches expectations.

Alternative is making adjustments to the s-video output from the PC.

BTW, me normally hangs in the DVD discussion areas (PC bod), I just browsed through this area coz there was not much happening in my normal stomping ground - lucky Eh!

Have Fun...