1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Card problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by markus50, Jul 3, 2007.

1. markus50

markus50 Member

Hey all, I'm building a pc from parts and i've hit a snag that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

I got a EVGA GeForce 7800 GS CO / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x graphic card and im trying to install it onto Mach Speed Venom MSA2-6100V NVIDIA Socket AM2 MicroATX Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.80GHz Socket AM2 OEM Processor. Im using Windows XP home edition and it is unable to detect the card. The few hints and thoughts i have about the problem:

1. Its an AGP graphic card and the motherboard does not have an agp slot. It does have a PCI express slot thought that it fits into, is it compatable?

2. When attempting to "add new hardware" in the control panal, it has a question mark in the pci slot, so can it be in properly but its a software issue?

3. When I turn the pc on, i can see the fan on the graphic card does not rotate. Do graphic card's fans turn if they are not installed? Can it be a power problem?

I've tried installing the drivers on the included cd as well as downloading drivers that I could find for the card online, but the only thing i can seem to get working is the graphic card pre-installed on the mother board, which is a geforce 6100 nforce 400. Any help you guys can lend me woulde be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeatly appreciated. Im so lost...

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i hope you didn't try that agp card into your pci/e slot as you might have fried both the card & motherboard. do you put gas into a diesel engine, no!! do you put diesel fuel into a gasoline engine, no!! then why would you put an agp card into a pci/e 16 slot? do not put a pci card into a pci/e slot!!