1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Movie... Oh, wait... it doesn't play...

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Drakiss, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Drakiss

Drakiss Member

My problem is pretty simple, I've spent over a hudred dollars trying to watch a movie I already own on my computer...
    if anyone knows why Nero won't play my commercial store bought DVD please feel free to give advice, I've checked with the DVD-drive manufacture (HP DVD1040d) and it is working fine, but I've tried WinDvd(faststop on play) WMP(faststop on play) Videolan(doesn't open) Nero(error message) DivX(doesn't recognize it as an option)

my errors from Nero are twofold, first if I open the showtime 3 with the DvD I get:
    Sorry, the folder you have selected does not contain a valid DVD-Video, SVCD, or VCD structure. Please use the media files' function to browse and play back files from this folder.

If showtime is already open then I get : Unexpected DvD error

The movie is a brand new region 1 Dvd "Night at the Museum"

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It wouldn't surprise me if whatever encryption happens to be on the disc is messing Nero up.
    Playing a DVD on a PC is part of the DVD specification. It could be considered a faulty DVD if it does not.
    You may want to rip it with one of the ripping programs we like to use. this will remove that pesky encryption.
    I haven't done this movie yet but I assume others have and if you do a search for it here you can see what others have used.
    I'd start with DVDFab Decrypter just because it's free and works pretty well.
    Another Option would be AnyDVD. It makes any disc you put in your drive encryption free.
    Try the free trial: http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  3. res2cue

res2cue Guest

will it play on your regular DVD player? I had no problem playing this movie on my PC using Nero. I also had no problem backing this one up using anydvd and clonedvd. I'm thinking you might have a bad press.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  4. crayon

crayon Member

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

NATM was not a hard one to do. AnyDVD and NeroRecode did this one without issues. And I have watched it entirely. Maybe a bad press as res2cue says.

6. Drakiss

Drakiss Member

Ok, problem was the HP DVD1040i optical drive, it would correctly show the title in the drive and work normal for everything except playing DVD's, changed it to another writer, works fine, once again HP fails to impress, HP is head and shoulders above the competition on printing and displaying, but in laptops/computer accesories outside of printers... just can't hack it, sad, once again two thumbs down to HP

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

yeah HP drives are the pits. And some of their printers are not much better. They rape you on ink costs. I'll take Canon.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I was a huge fan of HP! I even had an HP computer and then bought a Compaq and finally went back to Dell! I also only bought HP printers and other peripherals as a standard. But the last HP printer I got was a great one...... and only lasted for a year and a half or so!!!! It cost more to fix those pieces of junk than to buy a new one and all I needed was a stupid little rubberband belt on the inside of where the cartridges were. it cost too much to ship it or take it apart at a store than to buy a new one! And Epson prints on CD/DVDs! Soooooo no more HP for me!