1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide to using the EZIV and EZIV Lite (including Deluxe and Compact)

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Venom5880, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

wow, I dissappear for a couple of days and come back to find Venoms "Information on the EZIV" has transformed to a guide :)

As for getting it stickied, wait for a moderator to come across it, or wait for someone PM a mod to recommend it to be stickied - i think it deserves it.

2. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

3. cheesy02

cheesy02 Member

Has anyone tried to run a snes emulator on the EZIV? I got SNESDS to play a few select games but not very many work properly. Just curious if there is another emulator that might work better.

4. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

You can try snezziDS. I haven't gotten around to trying any emulators since I've been so busy playing Mario Kart and Castlevania.

5. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I updated the side notes. Anyone having trouble with WiFi should use the May EZClient to patch games as the July one isn't properly patching them for some reason.

6. cheesy02

cheesy02 Member

Are there any drawbacks to using the May version over the July one?

Also, does the client actually "patch" the games or does it merely create a save game slot for it?
    Say for example I put a ROM on there using the client, then I need to take it off to make space for something else. I'd like to leave my save game on there (the save files are small) so that later I can put the ROM back on and continue playing. If I use the client that second time it will overwrite my save file and thus my progress, so I'd rather just copy the ROM directly over the 2nd time to continue playing. Does this work?

7. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Are there any drawbacks to using the May version over the July one?
    None that I know of.

Also, does the client actually "patch" the games or does it merely create a save game slot for it?
    It patches the game and creates a placeholder save. If you wanted, you could realistically get rid of the clean version and just transfer the patched one straight to the card whenever you want to play it.

8. cheesy02

cheesy02 Member

I just ran a little test and discovered a problem with that method...I'm running kernel from 7/10 and patched Tetris with client 7/10 - sure enough the wifi doesn't work. So then I patched with client 5/08 but guess what, kernel 7/10 can't play games patched with 5/08! So then I change my kernel to be 5/10 and Tetris with wifi works great. (FYI playing online with this ROM did not mess up my wifi record on my actual Tetris cartridge so you can have yourself two different online records)
    SO, the method of backing up patched ROMS on your computer for later use works...but only if you don't update your kernel in the meantime.

My next test will be to patch with client 5/08, run and save a game on kernel 5/10, back up the save slot on my computer, then upgrade to kernel 7/10, repatch the game with 7/10, replace the newly created save file with my old backed up one, and see if my save data still works.

9. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

After checking which clients I used, it looks like the games I patched were all done with the 6/15 client with the 6/22 client patch. These games work fine for me on the 7/10 kernel.

And yeah, backing up the save files is a good idea. I've transfered GBA save games from VBA and my EFA cart to my EZIV without any problems. I assume the same can be said about DS games as long as they're named properly.

10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Had to update the guide again. I forgot to add in that a PassMe shouldn't be used while trying to update the kernel. It doesn't work with SuperKey, and according to the Wiki, it should be updated in GBA mode, but I've been doing it with DS mode with FlashMe v7. Ah well.

11. 2paca

2paca Member

Hi guys ...

I have a DS Lite and have ordered the ez-flash 4 lite + ez-pass 3 combo ... Im going to be getting a micro-sd card shortly

just one question ... can someone provide a link to the spot where I can get the client software ... I see where to get the kernal of the latest update but I cant find where the actual software for loading games onto the sd card is.

thanks for the help!

12. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  13. bigdavieh

bigdavieh Member

EDIT : problem sorted.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  14. cheesy02

cheesy02 Member

Has anyone gotten a web browser working on the EZIV?

15. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The only web browser I know about is the linux based one that is text only. Since it's text based, I haven't even bothered checking if it worked or not.

There's also Opera, but at this time it's back-up is useless because of the extra RAM it requires. Supposedly there's some project to get it working on the M3, but nothing about the EZIV.

16. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Update to guide: Turns out, the solder joint on my EZIV's battery connector busted. Splendid.

I've just resoldered it back into place. I hope it works out...

Edit: Seems to be working fine now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  17. cheesy02

cheesy02 Member

What kind of microSD are you using in the EZIV Lite? I have a 1GB Sandisk which seems to work fine for games but is quite choppy through the Castlevania test. Are there faster micros?
    Also I read Sandisk has just released a 2 GB microSD - TWO GIGS on that tiny thing the size of a fingernail, simply amazing.

18. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Due to the way cards are read by the EZIV, it doesn't matter how fast the card is, the Castlevania intro will always be choppy.

Even with my 150x RiDATA miniSD it's choppy.

19. asciichar

asciichar Guest

I have the EZ4Lite and am desperately trying to get New Super Mario to run, but it always says that the save file is corrup even when i use the client to patch. Is there something I'm not doing? Im using the most recent kernel and client.

20. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

That's odd...

My younger brother has been playing NSMB on his EZIV Lite for a few weeks now without any issues, so unless the newest client and kernel have introduced compatibility problems, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

Is that the only game you're having problems with, or do others not work as well?