1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: Tweaking the Moto L6/L7 Slvr

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by DVDBack23, Jan 1, 2007.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Ok in this quick guide i will give methods to better use your L6/L7 slvr, by freeing up space, getting nicer wallpapers than the crappy defaults, lol, getting your pics off the phone and more quick tweaks like getting rid of those demo games that are good for nothing.

Ok here goes:

1. Download the L6 Slvr drivers here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24033345/SLVR_L6_Drivers.rar

2. Download P2ktools here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24033089/p2ktools.zip

3. If you dont have a usb cable, then stop now go out and buy one, then continue reading ;)

4. Install p2ktools and the drivers then leave p2k open.

5. Now hook up the phone to your PC and wait until the Found New Hardware bubble pops up.. Windows will ask you to search the web for the software. Press "Not this time" then next. Now select "Install from specific location" and select the folder where u installed p2k in. It will now install the USB modem. When that is done, the Found new hardware should pop up again. Do the same exact steps as before and do this until its finally done downloading (should have to repeat the steps about 5 times).

6. Now open P2k tools and Switch to p2k mode if you arent there already. At the bottom left it should say "Connected" and have a green light.

7. Ok so u are now connected to ur L6 ! :)

8. Now to free up some space ;)
    Go into the C: drive (for L6, it might be A: for ur L7) and go down to Videos. Delete the default videos there. Next go into Audio, and delete all the tones that you dont want (i deleted all). Next go into pictures and delete all the horrible wallpapers that came with the phone but make sure not to delete the phone icons ;)

9. Using the method above u can also get ur videos and pics off the phone, by simply dragging and dropping them into a folder of ur choosing, on the desktop perhaps.

10. Here are some of my favorite wallpapers, which can be added to the phone using the drag and drop method into the pictures folder.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24033559/wallpapers.rar

11. (optional) You can get rid of the demo games that are useless by deleting them from the kjava folder in ur drive.

12. You now have enough space to add a song to your slvr if u so choose.

Ok well this is the basic guide right there, later i will add how to make ringtones, i will upload new skins, and teach you how to make ur phone use clublights, which allows the phone to light up and bounce to the beat.
    like so:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzOiNYGo7FU

EDIT:
    Ok here, is the method to get your phone to have new skins, new buttons, clublights, event lights and more.
    Download the reflash pack from here:
    http://www.knighthacker.co.uk/SpecialFile/ReflashPack1.html
    Google and find RSDLite 2.6.
    Open RSD and make sure ur phone is connected.
    Then browse the Monster Reflash Plack.
    Open it, and then flash your phone. DO NOT SHUT OFF UR PHONE AT THIS POINT OR DISCONNECT IT.
    When it is done flashing, you will have a brand new flashed phone, with new skins and clublights, etc. Impress your friends ;)

If anyone needs help please post here and i will help you out (i check afterdawn daily). The links shouldnt expire either becuase im a Prem memeber, but if they do, please post and tell me.
    Disclaimer:
    I do not take responsibility if u delete the wrong thing, and mess up your phone, u do this at ur own risk, although ive never had ANY problems.

Copyright Andre Yoskowitz 2006 (dvdback23)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. Siimbi

Siimbi Member

I own a Motorola SLVR L7. I am looking for a way to save some 500+ phone number entries on my PC in such a way that, if I lose the phone or when I upgrade, I don't have to manually reenter those numbers again. Can you please help me?
    Thank you

3. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Can you save to the sim card?

4. DVDBack23

yeah, ur sim card should be able to hold all 500 numbers no problem ;)

5. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

And if you take the card with you to your next phone, you still have all your numbers.

6. Siimbi

Siimbi Member

Thank you all for your suggestions... But here are the facts:
    The SIM card can only save 250 names & numbers. It doesn't save addresses, e-mails, etc.
    The phone only saves music & pictures on the memory card. Yes, I can take with me my music and not my phonebook.
    Keep the suggestions coming.

7. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

The only thing I can think of is to backup all your numbers on your computer then save to something like a CD or other universal media in case your computer crashes.

8. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

@DVDBack23, Can you say what files EXACTLY that I can delete without crashing the phone? Thanks in advance.

9. Siimbi

Siimbi Member

Good idea. But HOW do I get those numbers from my SLVR L7 phone to the to my PC?

10. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Did you try Motorola Phone Tools?

11. DVDBack23

u dont need it, try P2ktools first ;)
    U can delete all the music, video and pics without crashing the phone :)

12. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Does that work with the L6? I use P2K Commander and it does.

13. DVDBack23

p2kcommander is just a somewhat more advance version of p2ktools, so u should be fine with it, i just dont use it, so i didnt write it into the guide :)

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Thats what I thought. I read somewhere else that you need commander for the L6(appearently not since you used tools). Also, what about the java games? Can I delete everything in that folder or do I need to only delete the .jar files?

-EDIT, Also, how do I uninstall the phone so I can install the p2k drivers for it? I uninstalled MPT and it still doesnt ask for drivers so it obviously left them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  15. DVDBack23

i deleted all the .png and .jar files and left the rest becuase i wasnt sure.
    To uninstall the phone, have it connected, then right click on My Computer->properties->Hardawre->Device Manager-> modem, and uninstall the Moto USB modem.

Good luck ;)

16. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

K, thanks. I'll try that.

17. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Tried that and all it did was uninstall the modem part. I plugged it back in and all it installed was the modem.

18. DVDBack23

did u have p2k open when you connected the phone?

19. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Eh? BTW, I had it working before I installed MPT(go figure). I did system restore back to before installing it and p2k commander still will not recognise it.

20. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Never mind, I got it to work. What I did was open p2k commander, uplug my phone(it was still plugged in from before), replug it in, and the autostart or whatever said "connected to AT device". It came up with all the new hardware which I installed with the L6 drivers and now it works. Thanks for you help. Im gonna delete those files to free up space.