1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Discussion!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pepsimaxx, Feb 14, 2007.

1. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

I use a JMP 1 pre amp it has two stage clean two stage distorstion midi controlled with the Marshall 9200 (200 watt stereo)rack it will sustain untill the cows come home I run the amp wide open and when I hit the distort, Gezz hold on to your hat !

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I teach music (piano and organ) as a second p/t job but haven't lately; well I'll get back into it soon as I could use some spare pocket money LOL! I play the guitar some, but its difficult to maintain proficiency on two similar keyboard instruments, let alone guitar or bass though I found that they're remarkably easy when I was studying them; it was so nice to play in only one clef and with both hands as opposed the two and/or three with piano and organ.

@Ripper....tabulature (tabs) are o.k. in the sense that they can teach you how something, a progression or a "lick" was constructed but it doesn't teach one to be original. There is, however, an easy way to learn "lead guitar" that is pretty fast to learn. Rather than use tabs, look up "pentatonic scales" on the internet and I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of sites. Pick up a little cassette recorder and play the stardard RR or blues I, IV, V progression say, G, C, D starting with Gmaj in the third position. Three movable barred chords. If you learn the pentatonic scales for GMaj and CMaj in the third position and for the D maj in the fifth position ... you can "play lead guitar" very quickly. It only takes a few mins to learn the appropriate scales in those positions and they only consist of five notes per scale every note of which "fits". I make it sound far more complicated than it is; I'd show you if I weren't typing LOL! But look up pentatonic scales on the net and in two mins you can learn the G and C Majs of the third position...that fast....and start playing along. Check it out when you have a little time. When I have some time, I'll look for some good sites that teach it if you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm very familiar with pentatonic scales anyway, so that's pretty cool, thanks.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

O.K. Lots of people aren't so I thought I'd mention it!

Edit: Forgot to mention that they're going to crack down on Tabs on the internet .... more copyright infringement crap.

5. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

Just to add on to Jerry's comments.

Remember that every Major has a Minor and every Minor has a Major. Explanation:
    Cmaj notes C, D, E, F, G, A, B
    Amin notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G

And so on.....

This will help you on "positioning" on the neck.

Strat

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Hey pepsimaxx thanks for starting this thread It's more fun than helping a bunch of newbies trying to burn a damn movie!!

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Strat....EXCELLENT! Most people don't realize that the C Maj and C Min have viturally nothing in common ...flatting the third, the "blue note" is not the way to determine the appropriate minor chord. A flatted third in a C Maj is an E flat (how does one do a flat symbol LOL ... E Flat is not a note contained in the key of C....like you said, the key of C (C D E F G A B C) has NO SHARPS OR FLATS. ANY MINOR CHORD COMES FROM THE SIXTH SCALE DEGREE OF THE MAJOR AND SHARES THE SAME KEY SIGNATURE (sharps or flats) Therefore A minor is the "relative minor" to the key of C....like you said...A B C D E F G. The key of G Maj has these notes G A B C D E F# G..... so the relative minor is an E Minor chord which, from the sixth scale degree are the notes E F# G A B C D. So too, just as a Major chord is taken from the first, third and fifth scale degrees (for the key of C, the C Maj chord contains the notes C, E, G,.... a minor chord, likewise, is composed of the first, third and fifth of the minor scale or (again starting from the sixth scale degree) A C E, again, no sharps or flats just like A minor's parent key of C Major.

LOL! I love talking about this stuff but 99% of people find it seriously boring! Yet, you bring up a great and useful point for people who like to compose ... if you're playing in C and want a more blusy sound, don't flat it!!!! Go to the relative minor from the sixth scale degree....six positions up from where ever you fretting hand is if you don't know it in your head but naturally, you'd want the relative minor in whatever position you're in (sounds like sex...but just minor sex LOL!)

@Rbrock,,,did you put those pickups in the fender? Didn't come with double coils, did it?

8. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

yeah, hear ya on that one. I love guitars and music. haah theres some fasinating stuff floating around on afterdawn, you just need to open the right thread. ill post a clip of me playing some silverchair later :p (im not as good as you guys yet :) i only have an acoustic too )

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

They call me Hot Rod because I leave nothing stock oh yeah, music theroy, if it sounds right, it's right, Ive studied blues to jazz and to anything between. Thats how you come up with a hit record they say you're not supposed to play it like that and BADA BING number one hit!

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I agree with this for the most part as its true of all forms of music but as a music teacher, there is one thing that saddens me ... there have been such huge amounts of music totally lost forever because people didn't know how to properly write it down. That's where, again in part, theory comes in. At least now, there is software that can do it (sort of, but not good enough, makes all sorts of mistakes).

11. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@Jerry
    Bravo, bravo!!

You know your theory! I have always admired pianist, mainly because they learn how to read music or least most of them do. As a guitarist it is easy to pick it up and start playing. That is what I did 26 years ago. To this day I don't read music, well a little, but everything to me is by ear. I do the tab thing every once in awhile, but I kick myself if I have to cheat! And I do.

When I first started, I picked up a fantastic beginners book which had chords, notes, theory, etc and the blues scale. The blues scale is a lead guitarist foundation. Every lead guitarist started here.

I recommend any guitarist to pickup Line 6 GuitarportXT.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GuitarPort-XT-Guitar-Port-3.0-for-MacPC?sku=150447
    Get a good pair of headphones and rock all night without waking anyone up!! You can jam to songs, loop secions your having problems with, and slow the song down to half speed without re-tuning. This is not for the stage but perfect for practice.

Strat

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

@Gerry: Yeah, I realise that, sorry if I came across at all arrogant there, I didn't have time to finish my reply, so it came across wrong...

What I meant to say...

After 7 and a bit years of playing the cornet, you get pretty complacent when it comes to scales, arpegios and chords etc. So, that seems like a wise choice for me to take when I get round to learning.

Sorry if it sounded at all short before; I was practically thrown off my PC at about 10pm ;-)

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ripper...oh, I took no offense at all my friend. The pentatonic scales are very well known by some but not by others .... they're a good short cut but should not be used alone.

If any of you should choose to really learn to read and write music, I would recommend something called "The Berkeley Series" because its written music and music theory but from a perspective that is best profited in Blues, RR, Jazz etc circles .... not spanish flamenco LOL!

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Talking of writing music, I've just finished one of my compositions for my GCSE music. It had to be written in ternary/rondo form but we were given free range to do as we like with it.

Funny I was the only person in the class to write a jazz/swing piece for a swing band (parts i wrote included trumpet, clarinet, saxaphone - alto and tennor, piano and percussion) with a trumpet/cornet solo (which I played lol)! ;-P
    Everyone else wrote things like guitar solos and stuff.. lol :p

Turned out well considering it's my first proper composition... :)

Lol @ flamenco music!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Cool...composing takes a real knack and arranging is surely the icing on the cake!

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

It took me a while, but I got some people to play it through for me before I submitted it etc. They were pretty patient tbh ;-)

Lucky I have friedns who play all the right instruments! :)

17. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

True enough; I really miss that sort of thing. I've heared (and in my younger years played) in so many bands ... with very talented people ... who could have made it big with a lot more discipline and a little luck. Whether alone or with others, its important to learn to play with discipline. Alone with no displine, very fast is no good if its sloppy and noisy and in a band/group, the same rule applies ... when you have four or five people all egocentric and trying to be the star of their own show instead of a group and shared effort for quality, you only make noise in a mutual agreed upon meter.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

man word is the greatest rock band of all-time is touring this summer Led Zeppelin with all the original members except the drummer of course Robert Plant,Jimmy Page,John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham a must see show!!!!!

19. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Good ole Jimmy Page, King of Slop, kidda falls down the steps and lands on hes feet type of guitar player but has wrote some damn good stuff, I've seen him live twice would cut off my left arm to see him agin!

20. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

aabbccdd sweet 16 !?