1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive can't read drive space correctly

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by berserk, Sep 6, 2003.

1. berserk

berserk Member

Hi all,

My hard drive says I have run out of space of drive c:. But When I go check drive c: still has 16 gigs of space available. Actually I know I have more space on the computer, but it always says that I have run out of space when I'm trying to install or download stuff. Is this a result of a virus or something?
    If anyone knows how to solve this please msg me.

2. Bluekkis

Bluekkis Active member

what os do you have? if you have XP or 2k, then you should check c: drives system restore status. (on by default I think, at least it was on my wXPpro)

My computer -> right click c: drive -> properties -> click disc cleanup -> more options -> system restore -> cleanup =)

If that partition is very big, system restore also takes alot of space, as a not-so-good-feature is reserves space from that hp by % instead of MB/GB

you can toggle that feature off somwhere as I did on all but on my wXP partition, but I can't remember anymore where... =/

3. berserk

berserk Member

thanks for helping Bluekkis.
    I have windows 98 2nd. I'm gonna try what you said above and then reply again.

4. Bluekkis

Bluekkis Active member

hmm... 98.. I don't think that it has system restore system in it...

But I remember that it had a bug that sometimes it reported it's free HD space incorrectly. Run scandisc through, that at least helped my friend...

Though I'm bit sceptic that it would be cause when it shows 16GB of free space...