1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Disappears

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SmileyGuy, Nov 29, 2004.

1. herosp

herosp Member

2. hexjibber

hexjibber Guest

Hi SmileyGuy
    I have exactly the same problem.
    I recently bought a 300Gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10 and have been experiencing a number of intermittent faults with it. I originally was using the drive with a ICY BOX external enclosure. I found that during the month I had been using the drive it disappeared twice whilst windows was running. It was detected at startup, but then vanished, or occasionally was not present at Startup. Then both partitions on the drive became 'corrupted and unreadable' after I burned a DVD using data from the drive. I updated the firmware of the ICY BOX and stopped using it with the drive. I reformatted the drive and began using it inside my PC. Again the drive intermittently vanished. I updated the bios of my motherboard to try and remedy the problem (a Soltek SL-KT400A-C). I also re partitioned the drive and reformatted it once more. The drive appeared to be ok, until after a day or so it vanished (from my Computer) again. In disk management it said that the drive was unallocated and had a capacity of 791.48GB. I downloaded the Powermax software from Maxtor's site and ran all the tests and the drive passed every one of them.
    I returned the drive to the store for testing and they gave it back saying that it works fine. They recommended that I try installing 'big drive enabler' from maxtor's site, so I did. However, now i have put my old 80GB Maxtor back in as the secondary hdd, because I need to get on with some work and I need a drive that I can relyon . Only, in the last couple of days, that has started to vanish too, when it never has done before (and I have had it a couple of years). I really have no idea how to solve this one, or what the problem actually is.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Andy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2005
  3. hexjibber

hexjibber Guest

Just did the event viewer thing, but I got different results:
    I got "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D."
    and

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

and

"A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0."
    It recommends replacing the IDE cable when I click on the Winodws help link. I will do this. However, this doesn't explain why the drive was disappearing in the external ICY BOX. That is connected by USB, but it has an IDE cable inside connecting the HDD to the box. Perhaps my IDE controller on the MB is knackered??

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is it only doing it on the hds & not the cd/dvd drives??

5. hexjibber

hexjibber Guest

Yep, just the HDDs.
    And only the one that is the secondary or lower. So the Secondary internal and then it also did it with the drive in the external enclosure ICY box.

6. ddp

put both hds on the primary if you can to see what happens

7. hexjibber

hexjibber Guest

Hi,
    It seems they were both of the primary. I am just an idiot and didn't realise until I put the new IDE cables in. I had the windows HD and the second HD on one IDE cable and a CD burner and DVD burner on the other.
    Since I bought new cables the drives haven't disappeared. It's only been a couple of days, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and will report back if they do disappear again.
    Cheers for the tips.

8. ddp

no problem, teach & learn