1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HARD DRIVE DMA/PIO ISSUES

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eromezis, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Hello. I recently installed a new Seagate 160 GB drive in my system as the slave. It is a Ultra ATA/100 drive. IT seemed fine until I started burning dvd's. The burn process takes way too long. I figured out it is because the drive is being recognized only in PIO mode, just limiting the data transfer by a huge margin. I have tried evrything I can think of and I can not get my system to recognize it as a DMA drive. What can I do???

system specs:
    Soyo K7ADA motherboard
    AMD athlon XP 1600+
    512 MB DDR
    windows XP sp2
    Maxtor 30Gb hard drive master
    Seagate 160Gb slave

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Not real certain of what your were saying. What did you slave the hard drive to?

3. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

it is the slave hard drive, as in the second hard drive on the IDE channel to the maxtor which is the master

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Uninstall the IDE controller that is displaying PIO mode.
    Reboot and let XP reinstall the driver.
    Then go back to device manager and check, it should be back to DMA.....................

5. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

That did not work. Any other ideas?

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Did you check the device manager for the correct Pio/
    DMA setting for the IDE controller's Advanced
    Settings.Does it give you an option for DMA or is it grayed out?

7. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I checked it. It says DMA if available in the options list, but the current mode is PIO. The current mode is grayed out, as is the AutoDetect option. I tried changing that in the BIOS, but there was no way to disable the PIO mode.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using the 80 wire ide cable or 40 wire???try putting 160 gig onto secondary cable as possible conflict with maxtor might be causing your problem , try it just to see if works or nor

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey
    What is the other drive on the same IDE cable? Has the 160Gb been slow(PIO) from the time of installation?

Have you tried uninstalling the drive and it's drivers,setting Bios to default, rebooting, shutting down and reinstalling the drive.

10. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Well. Now I can say I have tried everything. The tech support people at Seagate told me to try that too. I took the 160 GB drive off the same IDE channel as the Maxtor drive and set it up as a stand alone master on the secondary channel. It still was only recognized in PIO mode. I realized however that my motherboard BIOS was only recognizing the drive at 136 GB, even though WIndows recognized it at 149. I checked the specs of my motherboard and it said it is only compatible with HD up to 120 GB, which is obviously not 136, but is obviously not 149 either. Therefore, since Soyo has not updated the drivers for my board since 2002, I am screwed...unless you guys can think of something else that might work. I am out of ideas.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check board site for newer bios update than what is on yours

12. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I did that too. Seagate says to get a PCI card with a IDE port adapter or something

13. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

The given capacities of your drive by the Bios and Windows seem ok. Windows should only detect around 149GBs and the capability of the Bios has been altered by the 48 bit Logical Block Addressing Capability of Windows when you installed SP2.
    The PIO issue remains.
    Do you have access to a newer machine in which you can test the Seagate to see if it can actually run in DMA.
    You can also go here and download the Seagate diagnostic utility.

http://seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

Does the other drive run in DMA?

14. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Yeah, I ran the Seagate utility and it worked fine. My other drive runs fine in the DMA mode. I also ran the seagate UATA utility to see if the DMA mode was not activated on my drive, but it was already set up for DMA mode 5. I tried lowering the DMA mode, it had no effect. It has to be some kind of Motherboard issue, since the BIOS only detects 136 GB.

15. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Does the 160GB work in DMA on the primary IDE channel?
    Will the 30GB work in DMA on the secondary IDE channel?

16. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

The 30 GB works in DMA on both channels, the 160 does not on either.

17. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

You should try the 160GB in another computer and see if it will run in DMA. That will put to rest the reason for no DMA(either the drive or the board).
    If your lucky it will be the drive and you can exchange.

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is this Hard drive different from your other one?

ie, is the one that works fine not an Ultra ATA100 hardrive.

If it is different, it looks like it maybe a motherboard issue regarding Ultra ATA100 and it's controller.

Maybe worth a check to rule out that possibility with your motherboard............................

A good proof would be to obtain a PCI IDE controller card capable of ATA133, and see if it can be run in DMA mode - if that is a possibility..............
    Something cheap and cheerful like http://www.winic.com.tw/680.htm

19. rrand

rrand Guest

I have exactly the same problem with windows 2000 and two Seagate 160gb drives on the same IDE channel. The master is set ok with DMA ultra 100 but the slave refuses to be set on anything other than PIO. Have checked motherboard (Gigabyte) drivers and BIOS and run all Seagate diagnostics and utilities without success. Also changed Slave to DMA mode 4 (ATA 66) but still stuck on PIO. The system boots up with both drives showing LBA, ATA, 100 parameters so the system recognises them ok. Have not as yet tried the Slave as ATA 33 mode or as Master on other IDE channel.

20. Jntspamr

Jntspamr Member