1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive Problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cooldin14, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cooldin14

cooldin14 Member

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (From my external hard drive)

I have 250 GB MaXtor External Hard Drive.

Model: 5000XT
    Capacity: 250GB
    Spin Rate: 5400RPM
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M.../Personal Storage 5000XT&productview=Overview

I had been using this hard drive more than one year. Couple days go, when I trying to connect to the computer it will give me this error message. [bold]“The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (From my external hard drive)”[/bold]. When I connect to the computer, it will take so long to read the hard drive. And all so computers will be so slow. When I double click the hard drive it will give this error message. I have more than 200GB data in this hard drive. Places help me to get this data.

Dinesh
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum, no multiposting and no posting email addies. You need to have a look at the forum rules before posting again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

This external HD may be damaged or corrupted.
    The partition and/or FAT might be corrupted, even if the drive itself is OK.
    I assume it uses NTFS?
    You can repair it easily, however the data will be difficult to save.
    Regular backups to preserve important data are essential.
    If your data is important, you should take this drive in to a reputable shop to have them diagnose the specific trouble you are having with it.
    Regards