1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardrive in windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by obdo, Jan 11, 2007.

1. obdo

obdo Member

hey, I was going to upgrade my windows XP machine to windows Vista but I want to keep my secondary hard drive (im getting a new computer and want to put my second hard drive into this) so I was just wondering if my hard drive (which is on my Windows XP machine) will work fine (like all the data to transfer over fine) on a windows Vista computer

does anyone know if this will work fine?

2. kateman

kateman Regular member

ahhh i dont see why it won't

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  3. obdo

obdo Member

me neither do I but if it's somthing like "Sorry you must reformat this drive for it to be compatable with windows vista" then I won't upgrade just yet

4. kateman

kateman Regular member

if your worried so much about your data then save it to another drive and then "upgrade". but i dont c y u would want to change to vista. its not what i would call an "upgrade".

5. obdo

obdo Member

Mostly it's just because of the new movie maker, it's supposed to be way improved and then its more powerful, isn't it, like it allows for a lot more things... y wuldn't u upgrade if u culd do it for free and without losing anything

6. kateman

kateman Regular member

it seems that all the "new" programs/improvements are overrated. my advice is stick with your computer or try to upgrade your movie maker or change to nero. heck, your computer may not even be able to handel vista! i'd say just wait until they get all the bugs out of vista. and what do you mean get it for free? but still even if it was i wouldn't do it, not yet.

Pay that piper: Vista is an operating system. It's the stuff your applications run on. But it'll cost $100 or more to make the switch. Unless you're buying a new PC and starting from scratch, you may be better off saving the money for something else.

Where's my antivirus?: For all the hype about security in Windows Vista, users may be disappointed to learn that antivirus software will not be part of the package. There's every indication that an online subscription service--possibly under the OneCare rubric--will offer antivirus protection to Vista users down the road. But for the time being, you'll need to turn to third-party companies like Symantec, McAfee, Grisoft, and others for virus protection.

Watch that hourglass: Vista is a power hog. Unless you have a top-end PC with high-end graphics hardware, for instance, you won't see one of the coolest parts of the new OS--the Aero Glass interface. Microsoft did the smart thing by offering Aero Basic and Windows Classic looks as well, which will let older and slower PCs run Vista. It just won't look as pretty.

Curse the learning curve: Microsoft has already ditched some aggressive ideas--such as the whole "virtual folders" thing--because the concepts proved too confusing for users. Even so, you'll find that the new Windows changes a lot of old tricks, and not always for the better. Heck, it took me almost five minutes to find the Run command, which used to show up right in the Start menu. And many users may struggle with the new power scheme, which defaults to putting the PC into hibernation rather than shutting down. I know it frustrated me the first time I wanted to power down the system to swap out a disk drive.

Meet the old boss, same as the new boss: Microsoft has added lots of new stuff to Vista, but some features are just warmed-over fare. Windows Mail is nothing more than a rebranded Outlook Express, and Windows Defender is simply an updated version of Microsoft AntiSpyware.

7. obdo

obdo Member

well that really sux

and yea I got a new computer for christmas but it was a media center pc, which I didn't want, so I figured I'd just get Vista on it... but that doesn't sound nice at all...

Do you know anything about Media Center, liek can I run the desktop or is it just the media center, because im a big gamer as well as like web designer so should I keep the OS on my new system or change it to XP?

8. kateman

kateman Regular member

haha christmas gifts :p
    well i would change to xp if i was you
    but iam not use to media center so i have a bias towards xp
    if your only realy reason to change is gameing, i wouldn't change as the main stuff that effects your game playing is hardware not the os realy. but then again iam not use to media center.
    maybe its a question you should ask in the gameing forum?

9. obdo

obdo Member

I just didn't think Media Center OS let you play games or use other programs, from what I know (which isn't much) it's just for playing videos and stuff