1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble backing up DVDs, won't play back

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HorrorNut, Mar 19, 2005.

1. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to backing up my DVDs. I recently tried backing up Spoorloos and Black Demons as my first two attempts. I used DVD Decypted to copy them to my hard drive and then DVD Shrink to burn them to DVD. Spoorloos didn't need shrunk at all but Black Demons did, just slightly.

I went to play both to see how it worked. Spoorloos freezes 19 minutes in and the player shuts off. Black Demons gets stuck about 9 minutes in. I try to fast forward past the spot but it doesn't work. I can jump to the next chapter, about 16 minutes in. I haven't tried watching it after that to see if it sticks elsewhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Everything seemed to be going to well but now I find out it hasn't worked at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

2. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Oh, and I wanted to add that my player can play DVD-R's and I've never had any trouble playing any before that other people loaned me.

Thanks!

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What is your burner brand name and model #?
    What is the brand name and speed rate of your blank discs?
    How fast did you burn that backup disc?

4. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

My burner is a NEC DVD_RW ND2500A. I've used it a lot to burn DVDs of my own movies and have never had any trouble, including one I burned after Spoorloos.

The media I used for both of these is Maxell DVD-R and they're 8x DVDs.

I believe I burned at 4x, but it might have been 8. I'll check it out a sec and see if I can find out for sure. Be back in a minute.

Thanks!

Tom

5. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Just checked and I have 4x ticked so that should be what they burned as. Oh, and I used Nero to burn the DVD. Usually I use DVD Archtect for my own movies and only use Nero for burning data discs.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Maxell -8x. Those are probably the gold tops and mfg code should be mxl-rg03.Check dvd decrypter, it will tell you that code.They are pretty good,I've burned quite a few of them-all at 4x though.

Nec 2500A: I have 3 buddies at work and they have nec 2510's,I believe. Very good burner.

Can you get your buddy to try to play those maxell backups in his player/s,and also pc dvd drive?

Also try to view those backups on your pc,using that nec drive to play it.See if it freezes there also.

Since your stand alone player plays your buddies backups,there is something about your burner that your stand alone player doesn't like.That player may not care for that maxell -8 media.Some of those players can be pesky.

Since your player will recognize them and try to play them,the issue should be an easy fix:
    Slow down that speed-1x or 2x,if your burner will allow it.

If that doesn't help,try a small pack of maxell -4x yellowtops-preferably the ones made in japan.The japanese yellotops will code as ty-g01 or mxl-rgo2.

Or you can try a small pack of +4x maxells.They should code as ricohjpn-01.

What is your buddy's burner model?

7. HorrorNut

HorrorNut Member

Thanks for the help! I'll try slowing down my burn speed once and see how that goes. I don't think it's the DVDs themselves because I burned a trailer for one of my movies the other day onto one of those discs and it played fine. It was just something about the ripped discs that I burned that weren't playing right. I tried Black Demons on both my old RCA and my new Phillips DVP642(that baby plays anything!)and it gets stuck at the same spot on both. I tried the Spoorloos DVD I burned on the Phillips and it made it through that "problem" spot okay but I didn't keep watching it to see if it played anywhere else.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot this evening and let you know if slowing down the burn speed fixed the problem.

Tom

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've also got a very reliable standalone: sonydvp-ns325.Every backup I burn goes through that player.It alerted me to an encryption issue on "the grudge"-when it wouldn't play that backup disc.Editing out some of the beginning credits took care of that.It plays everything from my tv home burner/2 benq's/kypermedia +8x/and I/O magic 16x. If it pixellates/freezes/or won't play-usually it is the media,or I forgot to finalize my tv home burner backups. That I/O had a heck of a time for it's backups to play on the rest of my stand alones.Half the compatability than my benq 1620.That khpermedia burner's backups would absolutely not play in my bedroom apex player.

I've got quite a bit of experience messing around with different burners/some different programs/and many players/pcs. There is considerable variations between lasers in both burners and dvd-rom drives.

You are trying to play backups from your nec and your buddy's burner,different lasers-variations between them.

Also,compression can cause some strange issues.I do main-movie only on the majority of my backups.Less compression this way.I haven't had any issues with 40% compression or so,but I do use the max smoothness enhancement.

Do you have nero on your pc?
    Later