1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hd screen goes blank repeatedly with ps3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pspBboy, May 13, 2009.

1. pspBboy

pspBboy Member

hey everyone.

i have a 80gig ps3 (non bc) and a 22in hd sceptre screen (has vga, dvi, hdmi ports). The screen is like 2 yrs old and the ps3 is from jan 2009. they worked perfectly up until april 2009. the screen would lose connection (turned blue) and then it would readjust itself and go back to 1080p. sometimes there would be a multi color static screen. so this would happen about once a minute. i thought it was the hdmi cable at first so i bought another one. same result. then i decided maybe if i use the hdmi/dvi cable it may work. got one of those and it didnt work. took the ps3 to my friends 40in toshiba he bought last month and it runs fine. so the problem is the screen.

I did some digging and found out that many people had similar situations and one of the many solutions were to have the audio go through the component cables that are provided with the ps3. I tried it and it worked!!! something about the hdmi getting confused producing sound and video...i played sf4 and watched a blu ray that day. the next day my bro in law played valkryia chronicles for about an hour and the screen started to act up again. this time it was much more severe. the blanking of the screen would happen every second. so basically, it loses the signal, get it back and loses it right away again.

what do you guys reccomend? anyone know how to fix this type of problem? is it worth taking it to get it repaired? estimated cost for this type of thing? (i got the sceptre from a friend for $180)
    im looking into getting a huge lcd but just because i get that doesnt mean i should toss this 22in hd sceptre out...so frustrating! if anyone has a similar problem and got it fixed, please advise!

2. TheH

TheH Member

It sounds like something to do with the HDCP handshake that both the TV and the PS3 as to do to display the picture, I have a HD65 Optoma projector and it does that every time I go from playing a game or movie to the main PS3 Menu, it takes about 1 second so it doesn't bother me so much.
    I would say research on PS3's HMDI's HDCP handshake with the model of your TV to see if someone else has this issue and if there is maybe a firmware update to fix this.

If your going to get a new HDTV I would sujest you look at the Optoma HD65 projector, it's under less than 1000 dlls you can fit in a 100 inch screen or bigger (if you have the space) and the PS3 games and blue ray movies look amazing!