1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD failed - considering mod chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Ulti, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Ulti

Ulti Member

Greetings,

I'm a complete neophyte to the Xbox modding scene. Please excuse any inaccuracies or shortcomings in my tech vocabulary.

My Xbox's hard drive is dead (RIP). It's making a repetitive ticking sound characteristic of dead hard drives, so I believe it's ready for the junk pile. At this point I'm considering modding the Xbox, thus enabling me to install a new hard drive and possibly use the Xbox as a multimedia center as well. I have cracked open the Xbox (thanks Llama) and determined the version (it's either 1.4 or 1.5--I can't be sure without further testing). However, I have several questions regarding the process.

1. Will installing a mod chip allow me to replace my dead hard drive with a new one? Do I need to retrieve any information from the dead drive or the EEPROM?

2. In general, are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a solderless installation?

3. Is it possible to use Xbox Live after installing a mod chip?

4. I would also like to know your recommendations for mod chips. There are quite a few to choose from and I'm having difficulty in deciding what would fit my needs the best. For now, my needs are quite limited, but they may grow in the future. =)

Thanks in advance!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

1. yes, it should. And i do not think you need any information from the old drive. not 100% sure as my was premodded when i got it, but as far as switching the hard drive out i just took the stock one out and put the new one in then used Slayer auto installer to format it and install all the apps.
    2. disadvantages only. They will do the same thing but can come loose causing you to have to open the Xbox and check it. Soldered in is better if you or someone you know can do it. Or if you have the money to send it off to a pro like Teammodders.com
    3. not with back up discs, but some chips you can disable and use original discs. I do not use XBL so if there is a way i do not know it. I just use systems like Xlink Kai or XBconnect which are free and do not ban people for modded systems.
    4. Best basic chip is the DuoX2 (what i have). It will do anything a normal person uses. Play backup games, stream media though XBMC, FTP back and forth to PC. Then there are Xecuter chips and Xenium chips which are more top of the line chips with features i would never need. But as always, if you can afford the best why not get it jst in case.