1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI vs. Optical: Audio - Am I getting what I should be getting? (PS3, DirecTV, Bose)

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by EWasHere, Jun 23, 2011.

1. EWasHere

EWasHere Member

Hey guys,

Quick question. Here's my setup. Panasonic P54S2 55" HDTV w/ 3 HDMI Inputs, Bose Lifestyle 48 5.1 Home Theater (it only has one Optical In and one Optical out, the rest are A/V connections, no HDMI), an HD DirecTV receiver, and a PS3. I'm wondering if I'm getting the best sound quality possible? Please help me out

Here's how it's connected:

DirecTV Receiver to TV via HDMI 1
    PS3 to TV via HDMI 2
    Empty HDMI 3
    TV Optical Out to Bose Receiver Optical In
    I turn off the TV speakers when I'm using the Bose 5.1

So is it connected properly to achieve the best sound possible? If not, what should I do? Additionally, what settings should I put on my TV, PS3, DirecTV, and Bose to ensure that the sound is the best?

P.S. I have already calibrated the speakers for my Bose (through Adaptiq), which I may have to do again should I need to do any changes.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

2. CeddeeB

CeddeeB Member

Yes, great job setting everything up EWasHere! Make sure your Panasonic is outputting the raw "Bitstream" signal from your PS3 and your DirecTV HD box to your bose system. While watching a movie or HD broadcast it should say 5.1 Dolby Digital on the front display of the Bose 48 system. As far as your current setup this is the best you can do.

I feel I must point out that the Bose 48 system while very expensive is incapable of giving you the best possible sound from your Blu-Ray movies. All professional Blu-Ray movies use "Lossless" forms of audio compression (by Dolby or DTS) or up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio (in PCM form) that must be sent to a compatible audio device via HDMI. If the best quality audio is your goal and you must stick with Bose I would recommend the V35 system. The updated Lifestyle (LS) V35 system is basically the old LS 48 with the new HDMI enhancements mentioned above. Sadly Bose still doesn't support DTS audio.

3. Bostonsnow

Bostonsnow Member

Hi,
    The new 2012 Bose T20 and V series lifestyles now say that they support DTS audio. They can also take HDMI input from blue ray players. So, is the setup as EWasHere , using the panasonic TV as the "hub" still the best, or for a new lifestyle is it best to use the lifestyle as the "hub" with all the HDMI inputs going through it? I have mine set up that way, but I wonder if I am degrading video quality by having video take an extra step through the Bose before going through the TV?