1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEELP!!! ARRRG!!!! Pioneer A05 for Macintosh?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MacHac, Jan 22, 2003.

1. MacHac

MacHac Guest

Okay, I am a newbie okay. And like um, I ugh... well let me just spell it out. I'm on a Macintosh. I want to install a Pioneer AO5 on my Mac and I have several questions. The drive is IDE ATTAPI, will I be able to simply pull my DVD player out and simply put the DVDR in and it work without any software like my DVD player that came with my mac? Will my mac recognize it?

Two, I want to be able to record DVD for purposes of removing stuff on my Mac G3 Blue and White Yosemite model (looks like a G4) will it work with my chip on the G3?

When I get it in, presuming it works, APPLES 9.2 has something on the system software that says BURNER. I take it I will still need Software for burning on the mac. Any ideas as to what software I will need to burn DVD's not movies, just data to store and be able to archive for later usage, what Software with the mac?

Also any idea where I can get one with MAC software included as I see it ships with IBM software only?

And thanks!

MacHac.

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

MacHac,

Sorry to read about your MAC problem (lol)

Seriously though, the pioneer 105 is fine for the Mac, I know of several proffesionals who use it with no problems.

However, that's as far as my knowledge goes, I'm sure a lot depends on the software that comes supplied in the box.

Good hunting.

HomerJ

3. MacHac

MacHac Guest

you call it an 105, not an AO5, how come?

4. HomerJ

The A105 is a bare bones machine, brown plain box, no software etc.

The A05 is the "normal" retail unit, fancy box, burning software etc.

HomerJ

5. MacHac

MacHac Guest

BUT IS THE UNIT GOING TO WORK ON MY MAC WITH SOMETHING LIKE TOAST OR DO I NEED EXTRA SOFTWARE IF I SIMPLY PLUG IT IN MY CURRENT DVD PLAYER SPOT. WILL IT ALL SIMPLY WORK OR DO I HAVE TO GET OTHER STUFF?

6. HomerJ

The unit will work, but the point about software is a very valid point.

If you buy the "full retail version" A05 it WILL come with DVD burning software.

However, you will need to confirm with your supplier that this is indeed suitable for the MAC.

Failing that, do you have any proprietatry burning software (the reason I got the A105 was I was already using Nero, which supports DVD burning, so no need to by anything else)

As for not burning movies, well, by default, your new sotware should support this as standard.

Hope that helps a bit.

HomerJ

7. laury

laury Member

dont know if this helps, but i just bought a pioneer 103 and my mac guy popped it right in and added toast titanium for burning cds and dvds. thats how far ive gotten. as far as ripping movies, im researching this now. good luck.

8. MacHac

MacHac Guest

Each answer has a point that makes another question.. I own a MACINTOSH! The Ao5 or 105 whatever, the one that ships WITH the software is only shipping with IBM WINDOWS type software. NO mac software is available. THUS the question, if I buy it, then buy toast, put it in my DVD slot will I be able to start burning DATA, NOT MOVIE, DATA DVD's to clear my drives and archive all I have on my drives for simply DATA backup? BE SPECIFIC. Will it work right off.

9. HomerJ

MacHac,

checkout this site :-

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

It's aimed at all you funny Mac folk.

I didn't know that Macs came in such pretty colours, boy, you must have problems just deciding on the colour, let alone the technical specification. (LOL)

There must be some links to software.

HomerJ

Last edited: Feb 17, 2003
  10. laury

laury Member

yesyesyesyesyesyes!

11. HomerJ

Was it something I said ??

HomerJ

12. MacHac

MacHac Guest

Yep, intelligence just like Homer J's. And English like him too... color is spelled with an lor, not lour... go back to Moes and your Duff beer, and slow IBM.

My mac doesn't come in colors as I don't own the kids toy mac. I have a big boys mac, loaded with more professional software than you can shake a stick at.

To everyone else I apologize. Nothing erks me more than a IBM (It Blows Man) that hacs on a mac. Even with a chip twice the processor speed, macs still are faster in lab tests and easier to use. That's why they cost three times as much. You can drive a chevy or you can buy a Cadillac for three times the price.

Hmm, makes you wonder why the best recording software in the world, "Pro Tools" and Digital cameras work seamlessly with a mac. I guess because they are built on the the best platform, plug and play...

Anyway the A05 is on hold right now. Got other priorities.

13. HomerJ

HacMac,

Just remember where your language originated from in the first place, and look what you have done with it. You can’t even spell colour properly.

If you’re not careful, we’ll take it back and leave you with some other foreign language like French, I believe you have a few neighbours (not neighbor) on your northern border who would be only too keen to share their tongue with you.

And as for IBM well, that’s going back a few years surely ? ( I can call you surely can’t I ?)

As for plug and play, my digital camcorder works just fine with my PC, as does the video editing software

HomerJ