1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HelloNzb configuration

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by everway9, Feb 18, 2016.

1. everway9

everway9 Newbie

Hi there.

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered or if I've posted in the wrong area.

I’m hoping you can help me.

I have downloaded and installed HelloNzb. I cannot configure HelloNzb to connect to the www.usenet-crawler server. I’ve probably got it all wrong and don’t understand how it all works.

What Host & Port do I need to type in for the usenet-crawler server under the Preferences > Server Settings tab. I put in www.usenet-crawlet.com for the host and 119 for the Port and I have put my website username and password in but it won’t connect. When I click on ‘Test Server Connection’ It says…. Error – Could not connect to server.

Please will you tell me where I’m going wrong?

Many Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. IP-Predator

IP-Predator Newbie

Hello.

You are correct in that you're wrong.

To download via Usenet, one has to pay subscription to a USP ( Usenet Service Provider ).
    Much like an ISP, you pay to have access. It is their details you enter into your Usenet client to download through their servers.

The site you link to is an index site only for so called NZB files.
    An NZB is an index file used to locate files on Usenet instantly.
    One simply adds the NZB to their Usenet client to have it download that content without further delay.

Another way is to search the Usenet via your USP. This is slow and tiresome though as you need to download headers from various news groups that you wish to search through. It's largely irrelevant now with all the NZB sites around.

I use Usenet a lot for various stuff and have accounts with AstraWeb and Thundernews. Feel free to ask additional questions.

Most USP's cost money to subscribe to but a few offers free accounts, such as XSUsenet. Be aware that the free model is extremely limited.

Usenet Definitions:

Retention: The lifespan of an upload. Your USP's retention time indicates how old uploads can be, and still be retrieveable.

Connections: Defines the number of connections you can make to a Usenet server. More will result in speed increases.

SSL: Defines whether you can engage encrypted connections to your USP's servers. Most support this.

Block or Flat-Rate: Defines the bandwidth limitations that your USP may have. Block accounts have a fixed amount of traffic. When the block is used up, example could be 100GB, then your subscription is forfeit. Flat-Rate accounts are paid each month for continuous bandwidth. There may be different levels of this with various speed caps.

I hope this helped a little.

everway9 likes this.
  3. everway9

everway9 Newbie

Hi IP-Predator.

Many thanks for the information.

I have now managed to find a provider which allows me 5Gb of data. I know its not much but I managed to download what I wanted as it was only 600Mb. It became clear what information I needed to enter into HelloNZB when I received my membership confirmation email, it had the server url etc. I understand that if I need a larger data allocation I will need to buy a subscription.

You have been really helpful and have provided me with really good and detailed answers to my questions and I am very grateful for your time.

Thanks again! :)

IP-Predator likes this.
  4. everway9

everway9 Newbie

SOLVED/ANSWERED

I'm not sure how to mark solved or close this thread. I'm sure someone will be able to do this for me.

Thanks.

IP-Predator likes this.