1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help burning AVI to playable dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mutable, Jan 6, 2005.

1. fatslob

fatslob Member

let us know how it goes....good luck

2. yensheng

yensheng Member

i have follow the RussReef's instruction, but the dvd i burned cant be played. i put in my dvd player, it says no disc, i play with power dvd, it says unsupported format, and for others like windows media player and real player, they cant find the file?

3. yensheng

yensheng Member

is there other method in putting mutiple movies in a dvd? i have wasted a lot of dvdr already.

4. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yensheng, it sounds like you might have a media problem. Not all media is compatible with all players. Check things like DVD+R vs. DVD-R, and make sure your stand-alone player can play the type of media you've burnt. Also, try burning at a lower speed... sometimes that works with crappy media... it gives it more of a chance to burn accurately.

I wouldn't expect windows media player or real player to play the VOB-files [the DVD files] unless you have the right codec installed [which is doubtful]. Regardless, PowerDVD should be able to play the VOB files without any problem.

Thus, I suspect your burning process or the media is the problem. The way to know for sure is to try to play the VOB-files directly off your harddrive with PowerDVD. Go to the Video_TS folder where DVDshrink outputted your VOB-files. Right click on the file named: VTS_01_1 (it should be a very large sized VOB file), select 'Open With' and select PowerDVD. This will let you play it right off of your harddrive BEFORE you waste another blank DVD. If it plays okay, then you know something's wrong with your media (solution: buy different media) or something's wrong with Nero, your burning engine (solution: uninstall and reinstall Nero). If it doesn't play, then there's something wrong earlier in the process. But, I think DVDshrink or DivXToDVD should have given you an error during (re)encoding.

Oh, the other thing to check is that in DivXToDVD, you select "Force NTSC 29.97 Fps" for Standard. You can leave Aspect to "Automatic." It could be that you were re-encoding in PAL 25 Fps, which is the European standard. That could be the other reason why your stand-alone DVD player won't recognize the disk.

5. yosanuman

yosanuman Member

hi guys! i use dvd shrink, never had a problem like this. when it analizes the very begining it stops afer 25%. anybody has a same problem like this? can anybody help me?

thanx in advance

6. Michmania

Michmania Member

This free download is helpful for anyone who wants to know the capabilites (such as ability to write CDs or DVDs and if the DVD burner uses +R, -R media or both) of his or her disc drives.
    http://www.vso-software.fr/inspector.htm