1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, can't get my converted AVI movie to play in my home DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maashoff, Feb 2, 2005.

1. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary

I guess my concern is two fold. A) Since I orginally downloaded this particular movie from the net I'm not sure of it orig specs.. in fact I'm not sure its a NTSC or a PAL?

Am I wrong..or isn't it correct that if I don't conver the AVI correctly it could affect the ability for me to burn this file correctly on a DVD that will actually play on my home system?

Meaning it isn't just good enough that I can convert it and play it on my computer using power DVD?

Help!!!

2. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary.. to answer your question re: did it auto play in my computer dvd player w/ power dvd.. the answer is yes I think.. it didn't auto start.. but when I launched power dvd and hit play it auto recognized the dvd and played the movie fine.. let me clarify ..I didn't have to slect files it just played the movie.

3. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary: update re: playback with power dvd.. it seems fine to play but crashes when i try to skip or fast forward.. seems a bit unstable

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

alot of new standalone players will play pal or ntsc,,,

but it sounds like a bad file to begin with?

but converting it may help? just use a template! and dont set anything

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  5. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary.. ok I think I am all set now.. so here is my latest problem. Nero (either express or burning rom) shows my dvd-r disk capacity at 700mb? The disk are clearly 4.7gb, which is validated by nero when I use the > More > disk info option.. it shows my disk as empty with a capacity of 4.490 mb.. not the 4.7 but certainly larger than 700mb.

so when I load my files the project goes into the red. And after the burn process finished the encoding phase it prompts me to insert an empty disk? I even opted the overburn option?

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

7. maashoff

maashoff Member

Rotary help!!! im so frustrated.. I keep getting this message after a 20 - 30 min encode process

sorry your compilation can not be written on this kind of disk.. Please insert a disk of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disk.

I have now switched to Memorex DVD- R/RW. My burner has successfully burned several "data files" and I am sure is functional.

I am 100% confident the converted AVI file is good. Even Nero plays it perfectly in preview before burning?

What is going on?

I'd gladly show you print screens... if you would kindly explain how to upload my screen shots into this post? I'm about to give up!!!

8. maashoff

maashoff Member

Rotary help!!! im so frustrated.. I keep getting this message after a 20 - 30 min encode process

sorry your compilation can not be written on this kind of disk.. Please insert a disk of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disk.

I have now switched to Memorex DVD- R/RW. My burner has successfully burned several "data files" and I am sure is functional.

I am 100% confident the converted AVI file is good. Even Nero plays it perfectly in preview before burning?

What is going on?

I'd gladly show you print screens... if you would kindly explain how to upload my screen shots into this post? I'm about to give up!!!

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, dont panick ;-]) we will start over and NOT! use nero!

1, now you need to convert the avi to mpeg2 dvd compliant files, to do this use TMPGENC PLUS! as shown in picture previously load the app cancel the wizard! then load a template of either PAL or NTSC and click next etc to get mpeg2

NOTE after you loaded a template go to same place/foder and click EXTRAS folder! and load the UNLOCK template so it goes over the top of the first template. (i think this is for sync problems sound/video etc.????)

2, load the mpeg2 dvd compliant files to TMPGENC DVD Author to make vobs/ifo/bup and this app will burn the files to dvdr too!

i am trying to see if nero isnt doing it properly? your disc you say plays on the pc fine? so to me it should be 99% ok? does your standalone player like the disc you are burning to? (meaning have you made films before useing these discs? so we know they are ok with the player!)

let us know how you get on...

also MAINCONCEPT will convert the AVI

And Cucusoft AVI converter

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  10. maashoff

maashoff Member

rotary.. ahh as you suspected I think it is the orig file. in the properties it says that the video compression is DIVXMPG4 V3. TMPG says it is an illegal file format???

Is there anything I can do with this file?

Also fyi.. TMPG Plus (both your link and direct from the home page today) says MPEG-2 trial period has expired... so it won't burn.. says I have to buy the full version.

11. PATMANN

PATMANN Guest

To get the following programs, do a search on Google. This info took me a long time to perfect.

My System Specs
    Win XP SP2(even worked on SP1)
    P4 2.8gig
    1.5 gig of PC 3200 Memory
    120 gig HDD
    120 gig HDD(slaved)
    Pioneer DVR 108 16X16 Burner

I'm only wishing to get the main movie. None of the extra's. No deleted scenes, alternate endings, yadda yadda yadda. Only the movie

I'm Using DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0. Go to Tools on the top, and select settings.

General Tab

Checked
    File System To Parse: Auto
    Remove Macrovision Protection
    RCE Protection Region: 1
    Check For Structure Protection
    Removal Method: Normal
    Default Destination
    Generated Automatically
    Other
    Display Max File Size Warning
    Display RCE Protection Warning
    Display Region Mismatch Warning
    Display Region Not Set Warning

File Mode Tab

Checked
    Select Files: ALL
    Stream Prtocess
    Search
    50,000 Sectors
    Options
    File Splitting
    By File
    Remove IFO/BUP RC Protection
    Remove IFO/BUP RCE Protection
    Remove IFO/PUOs
    Patch M2V Timecode(00:00:00:00)

IFO Mode Tab

Checked
    Select Main Movie PGC
    Options
    File Splitting:None
    Copy IFO File
    Remove RC Protection
    Remove RCE Protection
    Patch M2V Timecode(00:00:00:00)
    Create Additional Files
    Stream Information

ISO Read Mode Tab

Checked
    Options
    File Splitting:Auto
    DVD+RW Capacity:File System
    Create MDS File
    Remove IFO/BUP RC Protection
    Remove IFO/BUP RCE Protection

ISO Write Mode Tab

Checked
    Options
    Write Mode:Auto
    Lock Volume-Exclusive Access
    Cycle Tray Before Verify
    Layer Break (For DL Media)
    Calculate Optimal

CSS Tab

Checked
    CSS Cracking Method:
    I/O Key Exchange ->Brute Force
    CSS Detection Search Size:1k
    DeCSSPlus Key Occurences:1
    DeCSSPlus Pattern Repeat Length:14
    On Failure
    Use Key From Another File:Ask

I/O Tab

Checked
    Interface
    SPTI-Microsoft
    Transfer Length
    Automatic
    32 KB
    Buffer Size
    20MB
    Options
    Software Read Error Retries:20
    Software Write Error Retries:0

Device Tab

Checked
    Options
    Lock Tray During
    Read
    Write
    Erase
    Disable Media Change Notification
    Sort By
    Address
    Options
    Enable SpeedRead DVD (Plextor)

Registry Tab

Checked
    Shell Extensions
    AutoPlay (XP / Server 2003)
    DVD (Me / 2000 / XP / Server 2003)
    File Association
    CDR DVD IMG ISO

On The Sounds/Stream Processing/Events Tab
    Leave As Is

Now, go to mode and select "File F", your DVD Will Load up. Look to the right after it loaded up and you will see the DVD has loaded. Look for a file titles "IFO" and right below it you will see "VOB" files that equal too about 4 gigs if you select them all. Select the IFO and VOB files.

Something like this

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_02_0.BUP [ XXX,XXX KB]<-----DO NOT SELECT
    See how i selected the IFO and the VOB's, but NOT the BUP. Some movies will have MORE VOB's to select, or LESS VOB's to select. All depends on the movie. The BUP Follows the LAST VOB. Once again, do NOT select ANY VOB's. Now here's the confusing part. SOME movies have Widescreen AND Fullscreen on a one sided DVD. You will see TWO sets of the top Diagram. Here is what I do if this happens, On the top left of the program go to Edit and Select Main Movie Files. THIS will for SURE select the movie. If you have ANY doubts, do it like that. After doing that, it will look like this:

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----UN-SELECTED***
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Select
    \par
    I have no clue why it selects everything but the FIRST VOB. Just go back and click on IFO and drag it down to the last VOB to get this again. Remember, do NOT select the BUP file, or it will mess everything up that follows from here.

VTS_01_0.IFO [ XX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_0.VOB [ X,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_1.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_2.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_3.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected
    VTS_01_4.VOB [ X,XXX,XXX KB]<----Selected

On the left side you will see "Destination", and press the little folder option "Please Select A Folder...", Select the destination of where the movie will be. Make a folder, Name it "DECRYPTER". In that folder, make another folder with the movie title(Lets call this movie "ABCDEFG"(Remember, the movie ABCDEFG is in the DECRYPTER folder).

Let the program work its magic, while its putting the movie onto your hard drive. After its done, just eject the DVD from your DVD Rom and move on to DVD Shrink.

Using DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
    **(ONLY USE THIS IF YOU HAVE NERO BURNING ROM 6.0 OR UP INSTALLED)

Click: Edit>Prefrences

Prefrences Tab

DVD-5 (4.7GB)
    User Prefrences
    Automatically open VIDEO_TS subfolders

Preview Tab

Just Leave Setting The Way It Is, No Need To Change Anything Here

Output Files Tab
    Checked
    Remove Macrovision Protection
    Remoce P-UOPs (Prohibited User Operations).
    Remove Layer Break\par
    Split VOB Files Into 1GB Size Chunks (Recommended)

Stream Selections

Checked
    Audio Language And Coding Type:
    All Languages
    AC3 or LPCM
    Subpicture Language:
    All Languages

File I/O

Checked
    I/O Settings:
    Check RPC2 Driven Region Code When Opening A DVD
    **Burn Settings
    Enable Burning With Nero

Now that all the setting have been set, Make sure you make a folder. Name it what ever you want. Since the folder were getting our movie from after we are done with DVD Decrypter, lets name this "ABCDEFG2". THIS folder is where you will put the movie in AFTER we get done with DVD Shrink. Now, lets get started. Open DVD Shrink and click the "Re-Author" tab. Underneath the "Hard DIsk Drive(s)", select the "ABCDEFG" folder(the one you used DVD Shrink to put into).

See the "Main Movie" list, and Title 1, select that(every once in a while, there will be title 1 and title 2. Difference between it is different camera angles. I always select "1"). Double Click Title 1 and it will go into its anylizing phase. After its done anylizing, see the "Compression Settings" and the "DVD Browser" tabs? Select the "Compression Settings". This is where you can get rid of different audio(language), and Sub Pictures(Closed Captions). Best bet is to get rid of ALL Closed Captions(unless your deaf), and only have EVERY ENGLISH checked. Un-check different languages, unless you want the movie to be in that language where you can select different languages on you DVD Player. REMEMBER=only have ENGLISH checked.

NOW, on the top bar select "Back Up", a screen will pop up and under the "Select Target Folder For DVD Output Files:" put the movie in "ABCDEFG2" Folder. Make sure you have "Create VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS Subfolders" UN-CHECKED. Now, press OK and the program will do its thing.

AUTHORING THE DVD

Get a DVD Burning program, such as Easy DVD Creator, Nero 6.0.0.0+, or what ever program you have to burn DVD's, and select the "ABCDEFG2" folder. THATS where your movie is in. After your done with burning(authoring) the movie, make sure you delete "ABCDEFG" and "ABCDERF2" folders. Just wasted Hard drive space.