1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! computer won't start!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stadly, Jan 22, 2007.

1. stadly

stadly Member

I make a little extra money on the side fixing home PC's for friends and co-workers. I am computer savvy but am having trouble this time. I received a call claiming that the computer wouldn't start. I took the machine home and figured it was a power supply issue. I opened it up and saw that the mother board lit up when power was connected. I then proceeded to remove their power supply and put mine in. Nothing. Then I put there's in my machine and it powered up fine. I think I narrowed it down to either a fried motherboard or a faulty on/off switch. If there is anything anyone can do to help me test either theory please respond ASAP. Allow me to clarify by "computer won't start." Not that the computer will not boot, but if you press the button on the front NOTHING happens. No fans, nothing. Please respond ASAP. The on/off switch seems to run wires directly to the motherboard if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use a small screw driver to short the 2 pins normally occupied by the power switch cable to see if switch is the problem or not. also look at the can shaped objects on the motherboard which are capacitors that they are flat topped not domed nor leaking brown stuff. remove all power & data cables to drives just in case 1 of them is causing problem. remove all card & ram except for videocard & 1 stick of ram. reseat those 2 but see what happens with those 2 also removed from board. if still nothing than if possible remove cpu