1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Confused

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by V1ru5, Dec 24, 2004.

1. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

hello...
    I have a problem...i bought a Toshiba DVD+R/-RW burner(8x-4x-32x) i backed up some movies a couple of weeks ago bcuz i was going to buy a DVD burner which i did today..now i burned the files using Nero using a Great Quality DVD-R at 4X the files burned succesfully, but here comes the problem...when i try playing it on my Panasonic Home theatre system it wont play...all i can hear is the sound....But it works on my Xbox, i dont know why but it does...now one of my friends let me borrowed one of his Burned DVDs and it works..but he uses Memorex to burn his DVDs...do u guys recommend me buying Memorex DVD-R to burn my movies?? or is there a way i can fix this problem...i will greatly appreciate it and thnx to all of you..Thank you again

2. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Its probably just a media issue. Try changing the media to anothe brand and see if that fixes the problem. It just sounds like a compadabiliy issue.
    Hope this helps
    Aaron

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Looks like media problem to me. Of all the talks, may be you should experiment a little more to see which media work for you.
    Good luck!

4. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

so it has nothing to do withy my DVD player or DVD burner??? and which media do u guys recommend?? Is memorex the best?

5. raceman17

raceman17 Member

I don't want to tell you what type of media to buy and then it doesnt work for you. I use Ritek GO4 and have NEVER had a problem. But, if you have used memorex and you know it works on your player then use that media.
    Later
    Aaron

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

anything but memorex and store brand media.Your friend must have got lucky. Only about 10% of memorex is good,the rest are junk.Every laser is different in burners and stand alone players. Different highquality media will usually fix this issue. Try a small pack of maxell's.You can even try some rw's,but standalones seem to have a harder time playing them.As long as your pc,the drive that burned the dvd,plays good,then it usually is a media issue.You may even want to slow down the burnspeed.What was the brand of your "great quality media"?In your original post, you said you bought a toshiba dvd+r/-rw,backed up movies and bought a dvd burner today. Do you have 2 burners?Is the burner you bought today a dvd home recorder? Or did you mean you bought a new dvd player today?This is a little confusing.This info will help. Happy Holidays to all!!!

7. forkndave

forkndave Member

Those Great Quality DVDs sound like a Fry's Electronics brand. I bought some of those once and they were made by Lead Data. The ones I got were very poor quality. I have also not had very good luck with Memorex. You are better off to order from an on-line store such as Meritline, Supermediastore or Rima. I've had good luck with Ritek and Prodisc. Taiyo Yuden is about the best, but also more expensive. I'm assuming you are in the US. If not, forget those places.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  8. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

yeah i live in the US, now i only have one DVD burner which is the Toshiba DVD+/- Dual burner, I usually burn my DVDs at 4X nothing slower or faster than that....Now i have played various burn movies which are burned using Memorex 4x DVD-R, and they seem to work perfectly. Now the cds i bought where from Fry's as mention, they were 14.99 for 25 which it was pretty cheap. But i though they all worked like normal CD-Rs do, but i guess i was wrong...Now about buying them online, i dont really have a credit card so i doubt it...can u plzz tell me a brand which i can buy in any store that will work perfectly with my DVD player...I repeat Memorex seem to work perfectly on my DVD, Great quality DVDs only work on my xbox..any help will be greatly appreciated

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The + formats seem to have the better quality media over the -,from what i have been reading in the dvd-r forum.If buying in a store, look at the label and find something made in JAPAN. This will be the maxell -4x'x and fuji's. Japan makes the best media with high quality dye.Those maxell -4x yellow tops are doing a great job.With your dual format toshiba,you have more flexibility of finding the right media.Memorex, too many horror stories on them. I first used them on my home burner and had trouble with the +4x r's. Sony took care of that problem. Now I have been burning on pc,the burner I got with it,1 bedroom standalone would not play any of the discs I tried. New benq burner,problems solved. Not bad for this new $40.00 burner. Staples runs some specials every week.I picked up sony +1-8x and -4x. Spindle of 25 for $10.00 a couple weeks ago. Both performing great. Now they got teons 8x 20 for $5.00. The + coded out as ricohjpn01, the -,cmagnetics. A very huge quality difference between these 2. We got 2 foot of snow and can't get out to get any more of the +8x.Maxell is a pretty reliable brand in both formats,so give them a try.Memorex is like those teons, one batch might be great,but the next,Who knows?A different manufacturer.A lower quality.Here is a handy program you can use to check the codes of your media, this is a free download: http://dvdinfopro.com Tell us the codes of those memorex and great quality discs from fry's.

10. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

[bold]this code is from Great Quality DVD-R[/bold]
    i dont know where is the code but this is what it displayed>>>
    Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG02
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 411107328
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 08
    2x Speed OPC power 0E
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 06
    4x Speed OPC power 13
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0E 07
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 07 0D 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 18
    4x Write Strategy field 4 17 85 78 75
    4x Write Strategy field 5 D6 89 A8 92 01 20
    4x Write Strategy field 6 10 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 .l...@....R.....
    00000010 66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG02......
    00000020 00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 ......."" ......

And i will try those Maxell DVD-R, i hope they work...thnx again...another thing i forgot to tell you guys is that The DVDs i burn dont work on any DVD player..i tried it on mines and my friends DVD i tried it on 4 Diff dvds and it doesnt work either...but it works with the memorex DVDs on all of them...is there something i'm doing wrong?? or again is it the Media??

11. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

[bold]this is from the Memorex Burned DVD-R[/bold]

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG. AF1
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name _van_
    Application id
    Implementation id VSO Software
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 10/25/2004 0:38:43
    Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 0B
    2x Speed OPC power 11
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 0B
    4x Speed OPC power 1A
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
    4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 88 65
    4x Write Strategy field 5 98 9A 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 22E145h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0E 15 .l...@....R.....
    00000010 98 9A 90 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 00 04 47 2E 20 .....CMC MA..G.
    00000020 41 46 31 00 05 CC C0 00 00 00 01 00 06 0B 11 11 AF1.............

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those memorex are definitely cmags,a poor quality manufacturer,those high quality media says ty's,but ty's have a lot of fakes floating around.Were those memorex burned an your burner or your friends burner?.In your earlier post you said you played your friends memorex. This is where the different lasers show up between burners.How did your burns look in the pc, the drive that burned it?.If your pc can't play your own backups,then something else is wrong.

13. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

yeah i can't play them on my pc either but i can on my Xbox..Now my friends burned it using his DVD burner...can anyone show me how can i succesfully burn my DVDs so it can be played on My DVD player?? help me out?? this is the second time i change my DVD burner and it keeps doing the same thing

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Download dvd shrink if you haven't got it. It is free and a very nice high quality program. It should be pretty much set from the time you download.You may want to go into the preferences and edit out extra stuff like foreign languages. I use nero as my burn engine. You can get a free trial (30 days). It is a very nice program for dvd and cd. I have both those programs and have no issues on the burning.
    You can also use dvd decrypter to burn if you don't have nero.
    Here is a quick guide that I use:

Insert original in burning drive,click out of any program that kicks on like media player,etc
    open up shrink,it will do a quick analyzing,set your target to your hard drive. To start with hit reauthor tab on top right corner,This will open up the menu,different audio streams,chapters,and main movie,sometimes you have 2 or 3 main movies.

Click on only 1 main movie,drag to left side of screen,make sure ac3 5.1 ch english is checked."if that is your language.the rest of the boxes you leave unchecked.

Hit backup,then another screen pops up.1st tab is your tagert for the files to go to after the process,dvd region tab, leave this set at region free.
    backup options,these are some of the enhancements,so don't check these to start with,it will slow it down.
    burn settings tab,this is where you set the burn speed.
    As soon as you make sure thee settings are all right, ,click ok.

The process is started,it should encode,spit out the original,and you insert blank in and it should burn.

This is my quick guide,but you can check out some other dvd shrink guides on the top tab of this page.They can explain each step more thorough.And they also deacribe the quality enhancements, i use on those larger dv-9 movies. Shrink just takes the movie,you edit out what you don't want,fits it to to your disc,slaps it on your hard drive.Nero automatically pulls it out to burn.
    Good luck and happy holidays.

15. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

hey thnx..but u still thing i should change my media??? thnx again man..and another quick questions..If i use DVD shrink will it rip the menus too?? thnx again

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The memorex coded out as cmags, poor media,they can screw you up in a lot of ways. The other one coded as ty's,you might want to save them.However,some ty's can be fakes. Get some rw's to practice with,but have a harder time of trying to play in standalones. Use the rw's to check your own burns on the pc.The rw's will save on coasters.

Keep those memorex though,till after you can get your burns ok. When you can play your own back ups on pcs. then try the stand alones.

Keeping the menus: I usually either do the whole dvd or just the movie only. It depends on the size of it. I usually don't watch the extras anyways. I just like to put it on my stand alone, then it auto plays. No trying to find the remote and going through menus.

I am just guessing but you'll have to go to compression setting,change it from auto compress,maybe scroll down a list on that autocompress tab,I think you want still images.
    There should be a guide for this somewhere at ad. I don't want to tell you something wrong.

We just want to know if you can play your own backups in the pc first. This will tell us if you have a media problem.

Start out with a small original dvd,like one about 90 minutes with very little bonus crap. Open up shrink,let it analyze,backup,check settings,and ok. Try the entire movie with no enhancements and a burnspeed of 4x.

Did you download the nero or dvd decrypter?Dvd shrink will not burn. Dvd decrypter is for the difficult encrypted and damaged discx.I have it,but have not needed to use it.
    good luck