1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help creating VCD from AVI

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by InsaneBoa, Feb 27, 2005.

1. InsaneBoa

InsaneBoa Member

I've never done this before so forgive me if i seem stupid :)

I have an AVI file that is about 700mb and about 100 minutes long and i want to turn that into a VCD to play on my dvd player. I first loaded Nero to see if that could do it but it reported the size as 900mb so i wasn't sure and cancelled it. I decided to do a bit of googling and got AVI Splitter to split the file into 2 pieces and i want to put them on seperate CDs but i'm having problems.

Following some of the guides here i've managed to find out from a few programs (GSpot, AVIcodec) that my AVI is encoded with XVID Mpeg-4 and the audio is encoded as MPEG Layer-3 (AVIcodec) or MP3,ISO MPEG-1 Layer 3(GSpot).

Seemingly the guides here say that thats fine but when i try to encode the AVI files to VCD format using TMPGEnc (free version) it says the file cannot open or is unsupported. I also noticed that on my AVI files the fps is reported as being 20.

Can anyone help me in getting these AVI files onto VCDs?

2. raevin

raevin Member

What you have to do is use a program like "AVI MPEG Video Converter" (or any other that will convert AVI's to MPEG's), and do the conversion. Then you can open the MPEG up in TMPGEnc.

You can use the whole 700 MB file this way, that way you don't have to join the AVI's later.

Be warned though. The quality will suck, and this process will take a while (I'm experienced with this, so I know about the time and quality stuff).

3. InsaneBoa

InsaneBoa Member

Thanks, i've got it working now :)

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The problem is that you didn't read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 .
    The 'rule' is: Nero is a Lame encoder, it's a good MPEG-1 --> VCD or MPEG-2 --> SVCD builder, but that's all.

The message of TMPGenc 'cannot open or is unsupported' appears if you haven't the right codec od if the file is MPEG-2 (you need the Plus version). Avoid concerning of AVI' s fps, it doesn't mean much for AVIs.

It seems mainly a problem of AVI codec. Do you have Xvid and trialware DivX (good as DECoder) installed?

Splitting is also a thing you can do at the end, with TMPGenc__MPEG Tools__Merge & Cut (type: MPEG-1(2) Video-CD).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005