1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Dead Motherboard?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by habboblob, Apr 17, 2012.

1. habboblob

habboblob Guest

Hi here are the specs for this computer I built myself.

CPU: AMD X6 1090T
    MOBO: MSI 880G-E45
    PSU: COODMAX 650W (some generic brand)
    Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3 PC10600
    CPU Fan: Thermaltake Frio
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred V3
    HDD: 1 TB Seagate
    GPU: Onboard Radeon 4230HD

That's basically all.

Alright so I've had this PC working wonderfully with me for about 3 months now. When I first got the PC, I left it on stress testing just to see if everything will work stock.
    I HAVE NO OVERCLOCKED ANYTHING. The other day, I decided to see what temps I would get so I decided to test stress the PC and leave it running for about 20 minutes.
    I then left the room to use the toilet for about 10 minutes, and when I came back the PC was off.

I then tried turning on the PC, and the blue leds on the FANs on the case turned on for half a second then turned off.

With myself being in panic, the first thing I did was disconnect the HDD and other drivers and tried re-booting the PC but no success. I'm not sure if my motherboard somehow died under pressure.

Could anyone help me out to see if it is not dead or what is the problem.
    Thanks

EDIT: I had another 550W PSU lying around. I just tried it but still no luck. I then did the PSU paperclip trick, to see if the PSU actually turns on, and both PSUs SEEM to be working. For now I am sticking with my 550W psu just in case the 650W did something bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another psu without any drives connected.

3. habboblob

habboblob Guest

I had another 550W PSU lying around. I just tried it but still no luck. I then did the PSU paperclip trick, to see if the PSU actually turns on, and both PSUs SEEM to be working. For now I am sticking with my 550W psu just in case the 650W did something bad.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you connect both power connectors to the motherboard?

5. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

Disconnect everything from the MB except CPU fan, one stick of RAM, and PWR switch. Test boot into BIOS.
    No go? Switch RAM. Test again.
    No go? Disconnect PWR switch wires and cross poles with screwdriver. Test?
    No go and CPU fan not turning=MB bad. cheap PSU may have spiked. recommend quality 80 Plus Bronze PSU with active PFC. 400w enough for what you have.

6. habboblob

habboblob Guest

I disconnected everything but the CPU from the motherboard.
    So all I had left connected was my CPU, CPU FAN, and the 2 POWER Cables from the PSU, and 1 BLUE LED FAN to test if recieving power. The 2 PSU cables were the 1 MOTHERBOARD CABLE, and 1 4-PIN CPU CABLE.

I tried turning it on, but the blue fan only turned on for half a second then off.

I then tried disconnecting the 4 PIN CPU power cable from the MOBO, so only the big mobo cable was connected, and guess what. It turned on....
    The cpu fan spinned normally, same with the PSU fan, and the blue case fan.

Does that mean I have a dead CPU?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

8. habboblob

habboblob Guest

Yes I know what that is.
    When I have the 4 PIN ATX connected the pc only turns on for half a second then goes off.
    But when I have the 4 PIN ATX disconnected, meaning that the CPU has no power, the motherboard turns on and gives all the fans power.

Could that mean I have a dead CPU?

9. Blessedon

Blessedon Regular member

Extremely unlikely! But only AMD can test the thing.
    Because you say you have tested two PSU with the same results, it is most likely the MB.
    It is up to you if you want to buy a new one to find out. I would. Good ones that will handle a 1090T (BE) can be had for $50 or less on Newegg. If that does not solve the problem, you can keep it as a spare or return it and eat the $10 restocking plus shipping. Your choice.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

if there is no ram you ought to get beeps however it does sound like a motherboard problem
    burnin tests do stress the components and ought not be used more than the initial test to check all is well