1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! DVD shrink burns fine - then jittery, pixelated errors on discs!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by snowmaaan, Aug 20, 2004.

1. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

I have been backing up our DVD's using DVD Shrink

The process finishes fine, without error, but then when we pout it in our DVD player to watch on TV< I get the following problems!

Often the image will be fine, then start to pixelate, then freeze

IT appears that many of the discs I have tried are doing the same!

Agggh, what is happening???
    Thanks

2. viper64

viper64 Guest

It sounds like cheap blank media, what brand of DVD MEDIA ARE YOU USING AND IS IT + or -. Lets start their.One more thing you are shrinking with DVD SHRINK to your hard drive what software are you using to put those files on your blank media?

3. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

They were very cheap in fact - i think about $35 for 50 in aust dollars
    They are plain white, and I believe are 4-R, not sure of brand

The burner is a brand new LG 12x, dual layer etc
    I am opening the DVD drive, shrinking the movie if i can get to 80% or burning the movie only if less

DVD shrink compresses it, then burns when it is done

I have Nero 6, StartSmart etc and dvd decrypter that i don't really use

4. viper64

viper64 Guest

Try better media, and lower your read & write speed to 4x.

I use MAXELL

5. woof811

woof811 Regular member

iuse ritek go4 dvd-r with a 99% success , they are actually called ridisc and ridata and are riteks own grade a media

6. castiljd

castiljd Member

Will they play fine in your dvd player on your computer? Either way if they play fine on your computer then it is probably the dvd player. Some aren't capable of reading certain discs and so forth. Just to help you out I don't know what region your dvd player is but be sure to click it on DVD Shrink. For example here in the US it is region 1. I don't know if it really helps or not but my backups play better when I select a region instead of region free. I think region free is default everytime so you will have to change it everytime you open dvd shrink and try to burn.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Either way if they play fine on your computer then it is probably the dvd player.
    Not necessarily true if you are useing the same dvdrw to rip/burn and then read the disc. I've had several copy's that would freeze on my standalone dvd player but would play just fine on my pc because it was the same drive that wrote the data. I would try a better quality media because for vidio reproduction you need good media w/ an even azo dye layor. I've had pretty good luck w/ ritek g04's but their quality is starting to vary from batch to batch. I now use ricohjpn's since lite-on's prefer dvd+r media and am having very good success. Here is a link to a good media rating guide. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On LDW-851S f/w US0N DVDRW
    Win XP Nero 6.3.1.20
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  8. colw

colw Active member

Your symptoms are very typical of cheap unrealiable media. Good quality media would be advisable.

Also for clarification, DVD Shrink does not burn - it encodes/compresses only. Depending on your setting in Shrink, you are either using DVD Decrpyter or Nero to burn your DVDs

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

castiljd,

Changing your region while using DVD Shrink doesn't help playing at all. If it did anything at all, it would probably do more to hurt it than to ever help it.

Be extremely careful about media just labeled "AZO". Recently the "AZO" dye/process has been picked up by quite a few pple when Verbatim changed to their "Advanced Metal AZO". I have been testing, at $.28ea (USD), "Great AZO" and I've found that for coaster production, I believe I've found an excellent media.

A DVD copy that plays on your PC but won't play on a standalone has little or nothing to do with the standalone but it does have a lot to do with your media.

As has been said, your symptoms are those of caused by cheap media not a questionable player -

As far as media goes, Sony, "Branded" RiData, Ritek G04's and Verbatim "DataLife" can be counted upon for consistently good quality at a reasonable price, between $.48 to $.65ea (USD).

My feeling is, any media that provides a 99 +% satisfactory burn is cheaper than a media that provides you with coasters 20% of the time.

Most of this has already been brought to your attention, I felt that it was better brought to the foreground than to be mixed with other less valuable information.

Cheers,

Pete

10. forkndave

forkndave Member

mort81, your link would work better if you would edit your post and remove the period at the end. It looks like part of the address and makes the link not work. I've done this myself a few times as I'm sure most of us have.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Done deal. Thanks, I'll remember that.

12. snowmaaan

snowmaaan Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think you're right, it must be the media then
    Will try new ones then

cheers!

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

One more note. If you shop around you can find good quality media at places such as meritline and newegg at a good price. I just got a 100 pk of ritek dvd+r's (media code ricohjpn01 002) from newegg for $42 with a $10 mail in rebate so actually $32. Shipping was 99 cents and arrived via fedex in 4 days.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 Ghz 512 MB PC133 Ram
    Lite-On LDW-851S f/w US0N DVDRW
    Win XP Nero 6.3.1.20
    DVDXCopy Xpress 3.2.1 DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink 3.2
    I know not too impressive saving my money[/small]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  14. vans12

vans12 Regular member

If you are puting it into a ps2 I also have that problem with a brand of dvds

15. vonsed

vonsed Guest

can i encounted ps2 game with shrink

16. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

What?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

agent-k,

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess that English isn't vonsed's natural language.

It's possible that he means:

Not having any knowledge of games I couldn't answer that myself :(

Can someone help this lost young soul ?

Pete