1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! DVD writer can burn but cannot read!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by leohui, May 20, 2007.

1. leohui

leohui Member

I have bought a Lite-On DVDRW SHM-165P6S dvd writer three months ago, at first it was working fine, but around two weeks ago the drive start to behave weird...

It can burn DVDs with no problem (tested the DVDs burned with other drives and DVD player), but cannot read discs probably, like it can see all files on the disc upon insert with file manager, but cannot execute and read files (like having error when playback DVDs for few seconds, cannot play games with the disc and cannot copy files).

I tried to test with Nero InfoTool and it shows ASPI is installed and running probably.
    I tried to rip a dvd using DVD Decrypter, it gives me an I/O error, it shows:

I/O error!
    Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Intepretation: Check Condition

CDB: 28 00 00 00 02 B5 00 00 01 00
    Intepretation: Read (10) - Sector: 693

Sense Area: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00 00 00
    Intepretation: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)

I also tried using Alcohol120% to make the disc image it also gives me an error message saying "Logical Unit Communication CRC Error" something like dvd decrypter is giving me

So do I have a problem in the settings? or the unit is faulty and just need to replace it?

thanks very much!

2. liveonps2

liveonps2 Regular member

I had the exact same error while installing a pioneer. I replaced the ata cord and all was fine. Hope this helps.

3. liveonps2

liveonps2 Regular member

I forgot to mention. I too could only burn and not read. Once the cable was replaced, I can do burn and read.

4. leohui

leohui Member

I've replaced the IDE cable as you said, and re-set the settings in the bios as well, now is all working ok!
    thanks a lot mate!