1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help:How to connect PS2 to LCD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HenC, Jul 1, 2007.

1. HenC

HenC Member

i'm new to this forum so, hi everyone and thanks for your help.

well as the title says, i have a PS2 and i want to connect it to my 19" Hanns.G LCD display. i did some searching around and found out i could use either a VGA converter box or a Sony S-Video/composite cable that could connect to my computer.

but some people say that there are some side affects to playing a PS2 on an LCD (ghosting, loss of quality, etc.) depending on the converter box or a cable.

my questions are:
    1. should i buy a VGA converter box or the Sony S-Video/Composite cables?
    2. if i buy the Sony S-Video/Composite cable, will it be able to connect to my computer? my computer has a 7-pin S-Video jack.
    3. how do i display the PS2 once i have it connected to the LCD?
    4. how do i connect desktop speakers to the PS2?

i know these are a lot of questions coming from a newbie to this forum, but i would greatly appreciate your help!

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

I take it the LCD is your PC monitor rather than an LCD television.
    I have attempted PS2 connection to PC monitor before but never found any kind of success. I used composite cables via a tuner card input.Crap picture whatever i tried.
    I now have the PS2 connected to an LCD TV via component cables & the picture is very good. Any other connection method to the TV including composite, s-video, scart all poor.

3. HenC

HenC Member

thanks for the reply byngo.

yes i am connecting my PS2 to my PC's LCD monitor.
    but its not connecting directly to the LCD.i am going to be using the S-video jack on my nVidia 7600 GS card to connect it to my LCD monitor (if thats possible at all...).

just how bad would it look on a VGA/DVI LCD monitor compared to a regular TV?

and if anyone could answer my questions from my starting post, i'd greatly appreciate it.

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

You will be dissapointed in the picture compared to a standard CRT Telly.
    Also, I connected mine via a composite input on a tv tuner card and selected the auxillary input.
    The s-video jack on your video card is not an input for the PS2. Its an output.
    How will you input the PS2 signal to your PC??

5. HenC

HenC Member

ah damn i thought i'd be able to connect it through my PC...

looks like my alternative would be to buy a VGA box...

could you recommend me one that is around $40?
    its either connecting it to my LCD monitor or my ancient round screen television.

6. somedude9

somedude9 Member

Go with the 1970 round screen tv! When you connect your PS2 to a VGA box Via composite video, no matter how much you spend you will never be able to get the same picture clarity and quality as you would with your CRT. Despite the oldness of your CRT TV it is still going to be able to give you the best picture out of any other non HD LCD or Plasma on the market. so.... go with the TV! Hope this helps!

7. HenC

HenC Member

would it really look that bad on the LCD monitor if its connected on a VGA box?

i would like to see a picture comparison but all i get on google are advertisements.

if i got the VGA box it would mean less wires to go around my room, but theres that small charge of about $50.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TV-LCD01&cat=CON

can i get some opinions on this VGA box?

8. HenC

HenC Member

9. somedude9

somedude9 Member

If you are set on getting a tv tuner card you are going to want to spend more than 50 dollars to get a good reliable one with the features you want. I have been in the AV business for a little over 10 years now and i have never seen a great PCI tv tuner for under 80 dollars. Here are some great tuners that come with a remote and some without (they are all over $50 but if you want one under that let me know and i will do some research for you):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1333269&CatId=1427

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1050249&CatId=1427

I would recommend the bottom one as it is more reliable and more user friendly. Tigerdirect is a great website. I have never had any problems buying with them. When you use a Tuner card make sure your PC has the capability to run the video card. And even if it does it still may be glitchy. Never buy a USB tuner card because they are very glitchy and do not have the features and the reliability of the PCI ones do. When it comes to computers and home theater, i ALWAYS go for the reliability first and then features. These 2 cards are going to be the best for what you want to do. If you do not choose one of these cards make sure that the card you are looking at has the 3 RCA connectors on the back (Yellow= Video White= Left Audio Red= Right Audio) instead of the one yellow RCA and 1 mini jack for both left and right audio. Hope this helps!

10. HenC

HenC Member

well i just went ahead and bought myself the one i posted. the quality isn't bad, its about the same as connecting it to that old tv i mentioned. right now im using DScaler to display my PS2 on my LCD monitor. thanks for the recommendations though.

11. somedude9

somedude9 Member

Yep! no problem. I hope everything works out good for ya!

12. aaronyu2

aaronyu2 Member

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking for a tv tuner that works well for playing the ps2 on the crt. Preferably under 80 dollars. Any help is appreciated.

13. somedude9

somedude9 Member