1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... I've fallen... and I can't get up.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by brewskymc, Jul 3, 2003.

1. brewskymc

brewskymc Member

Forgive me if I missed it.. But, I've searched through the previous posts and have not found my solution. I have an HP desktop running XP Home edition SP1. It came with a CD writer and a DVD-ROM with the jumpers on each set on CSA or cable select. I replaced the DVD-ROM with a Pioneer AO5 R/RW writer and set the jumper on CSA. The operating system recognizes it and will play a movie with the Sonic software, but it will not recognize blank media. I am using blank media(CD-R)that is supposedly compatible according to the Pioneer site. I have went in and disabled the DMA, but that didn't work for me. What am I doing wrong. Since I am no expert, especially when it comes to XP, please be detailed if you can. I'll appreciate any help that I can get on this one

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Odds are that there is probably nothing to do with jumpers as our OS can use the drive. Try uninstalling the device in the Device Manager and rebooting... dos XP detect it properly now? Does it show up properly under InfoTools?

To uninstall the drive:
    1. Goto Control Panel
    2. Switch to Classic View
    3. Goto System Properties
    4. Goto Hardware Tab
    5. Click Device Manager
    6. Find the current DVD drive
    7. Right Click --> Uninstall
    8. Reboot

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well if both drives were on the [bold] same ide channel [/bold] then 1 drive should have been master (DVD-Rom) and the other as slave (burner). In most cases you use CS for the hd configuration, not "roms". So basically your Pioneer DVD Burner can be set as master(secondary ide channel) and either your dvd-rom or burner as slave m8 (primary ide channel) and your hd as master or cs. If you choose not to use your dvd-rom\burner then set the Pioneer dvd burner as master on secondary ide channel and your hd as master or cs (on primary ide channel).

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2003