1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Choose A Ripping/Authoring/Burning Suite. I'm Crazy and Desperate.

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Gottaknow, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Gottaknow

Gottaknow Member

Now, I know this sounds like a very basic question that's probably been done to death. But I need some advice. I've been on the computer for 10 hrs (@cdfreaks, and videohelp, and now here) and I'm on info overload. I need to buy a software suit and I need some input. I'm considering the basics: Nero, Roxio, Sonic etc... Here's what I want to do:

Upload video off of my camcorder (sony digital 8) via firewire.

Convert that video to a DVD format (mpeg-2 or whatever).

Create some chapters/titles etc...

Then burn it onto a dvd-r and watch it on my T.V.

Should be simple, right? If only.

Here's what I've done:

Uploaded via USB 2.0 to Windows Movie Maker. Then found out that format sucks as far as workablility.

Downloaded the 30 day trial version of TMPGEne so I could convert WMV files to Mpeg. Tried it; it worked; but it took forever..about an hour for an hour long video. This may be a normal conversion time..I don't know.

But now...I don't have a burner..other than burnatonce without prodvd enabled yet (so I'm stuck with a 1G limit which isn't going to work).

SO, TO SUMMERIZE: help me decide on which burning software or software suit to buy that simplifies all of this (and, hopefully, does all of this stuff without me having to resort to three..four..five different programs).

Also, it would be nice if it was something I could run out and buy at Walmart or BestBuy or some place.

NOTE: I want to upload off of the camcorder directly to this program if possible.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

If it helps here is what I have played with and have had decent results with:
    I use and recommend the Vegas video NLE application. This is now owned by Sony, so look for a sony product called Vegas. As far as DVD creation goes, I use Ulead DVD movie factory. Together they do a good job of capturing, editing and burning into a movie on a blank DVD which I can share with friends and family. One thing, you do need a DVD burner which I noticed you did not have.
    Hope this helps you
    Cheers,
    BB