1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me choosing pioneer 107 or LG GSA4120B

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by vpower, Aug 10, 2004.

1. vpower

vpower Member

Hi all,

I need help
    I'm currently an happy owner of a pioneer A06.

now it's time to go faster..and I was thinking for the Pioneer 107. But for the same price, I can get a LG GSA4120B. wich support dual layer.

Should I jump now into the dual layer wagon now?
    I dont think blank dual layer are affortable right now.

what your opinions on that?

Thanks!!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

There are many factors to ponder aren't there? I'll give you my personal take for what it's worth.

While affordable dual layer drives are on the shelves in quantity the same can't be said for the media which is hard to find and goes for $10-$15 a pop when you do find it.

Do you enjoy having all the extra features of a movie on your backups? If so then go for a DL burner. I generally watch the extras once then have no use for them again so they don't get put on my backups. because of this my backups generally require little compression so the quality is great.

If you think you'll use a dual layer to it's advantage I'd definitely recommend the Pioneer 108 which is out now. I personally feel that LG drives are some sort of fungus that grow into a DVD burner shape. I've seen too many folks having problems with them to get any sort of recommendation from me.

If DL isn't for you quite yet then the 107 is one of the best you can get and is ridiculously affordable right now given the quality and performance of these drives :)

3. vpower

vpower Member

Thanks for your opinion.

Indeed, the market for the DL DVD-+R is pretty expensive.

But how the stand alone dvd-player are going to do against the DL DVD-+R?

Will it be an issue?

4. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

As Nephilim stated I also have heard horror story about the LG drives.
    I just don't trust them.
    As far as the Pioneer Drives I had nothing but good experience with them, they have been known to make a lemon here and there but for the most part there drives are reliable.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

So far the reports have been very good. I've yet to hear of any grievous compatibility problems with the DL media.

Here's a thread that may be of interest :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/92188

6. halenger

halenger Member

I've just been looking up this burner and I must say I'm quite unconvinced that it burns DL DVDs. The wording is very carefully chosen. "Supports". On one website I saw it mention under the reads, but not writes, section "DVD+R DL". Also in LGs official spec it does not mention a write speed.

The fact that it's 12x and the price it's at also makes me quite weary. If you're buying it because it's DL be sure to ask can it WRITE DL because I think it only reads them.

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Get the Pioneer DVR-108. It supports the DL format, records both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW, even burns DVD+ and - R discs at 16X if you're in a hurry ... and best of all costs less than $100 delivered from NewEgg.com!

8. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Both drives are very good! I had at first some niches with the LG (all fixed with the Noad Firmware - which supports Bitsetting + RDL or + R media to the DVD-ROM Booktype, which makes compatability much higher on all DVD Equipment. The A08 is slightly faster but does not support bitsetting either but i am sure a Firmware fix is or will be available soon. DL and high speed - + media is expensive and both drives are picky.
    The LG is a more superior Reader and copier for Audio Protected CD's, The Pioneer DVR-108 is stopped dead in it's tracks ripping Sony Key2Audio discs (Which are common in the UK and Germany)

There are many pros and cons for either drive. check out the many reviews on the net!
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9931&PageId=6

9. vpower

vpower Member

Thanks everyone.

finally got the 108. so far so good (as usual..I even use princo on my 106..and NEVER had an issue)

euh, actually yes, I had an issue once..I burned and video_ts folder while using the DVD_DATA template in Nero .. I wonder why it didnt work in my dvd player..lol

10. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

Stay away from LG (Lucky Goldstar). They are trying to pull a Bose. Spend a lot on ads and people will believe your products are good.

11. XxXed

XxXed Guest

Dude i got the gsa4120b and with the noad firmware it kix ass. I didnt have any probs with it yet but i cant get my hands on a DL dvd coz they r not yet here in South Africa. Im using princo dvd's and all works sweet

12. XxXed

XxXed Guest

Oh sorry halenger the burner writes DL but only at 2.4X though.