1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!! HELP !!!! No video on my computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Bigp, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Bigp

Bigp Member

This might not be in the right place but can someone give me an idea. I have an Duron 800 mhz which I have just installed a Sony flashed DWU10a DVD RW onto. I have installed shrink and I have the following fault.

When I place a film in shrink will analise the dvd showing picture frames in the small window no probs. When I come to playing the film small or full screen I just get green blocks of colour.

I am running 98
    98 tells me that I have a STB velocity 128 3d agp video card
    I have updated the driver for this
    I have updated to Direct X

Still no good

ANy help would be nice :)

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Are you talking about the original or the copy?

3. Bigp

Bigp Member

Been playing around with different settings and now I can see the DVD cool. The only problem is now that the sound quality buffering is behind the actual film :(. The DVD plays fine on a TV DvD playr :). Any ideas now.... I think in must be setting up additional buffering with the memory now to allow the player to play ?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I still don't read you clearly. If the DVD copy is playing fine on the stand alone, but is out of syn. on the PC, then probably the hardware is not fast enough. Have you tried copy the film onto the harddisk and play from there to see if there is any difference?

5. Bigp

Bigp Member

I'm just about to copy the film this morning onto the hard drive to see if that works. I'd like to know what would be the minimum requirement for a system to read and write DVD's. My system is

Windows 98
    20 gig hard drive
    Duron 800
    256 k ram
    Sound labs 4mb AGP sound card
    STB 128 3d video card
    SONY DWU10A

The system is three years old now and theres no point in overclocking the cpu to get %10 more speed I might as well get a 2ghz system with 80 gig drive etc...

But I thought this might be able to play a dvd and write one, it was worth a try :(...

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I'm reluctant to say that your system is comparatively slow by today's standard. Note that many programs stretch the CPU to its limit while burning, so a slower system would result in syn. problems.
    BTW, your ram is also a problem. May be you can increase the virtual memory to see how it goes.
    Good luck!

7. Bigp

Bigp Member

Sorry mate like a fart its 256mb of ram not KB :( doh. I think its a new system needed which is not a problem, it just kills me having to upgrade something to do the odd DVD backup :(. Thanks for your help

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You are saying the audio and video are out of sync. This usually happens with downloaded movies that need converted to dvd compliant file structure. Was this a download or copied off another dvd? If downloaded, try this guide.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

Your system specs are somewhat slow but I have seen slower ones do the job.

Jerry

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Is it possible to try upgrade to NT or XP? That way you'll have more options like using the Nero + DVD43 combination. As far as I know, Nero is much less demanding.
    Good luck!

10. Bigp

Bigp Member

Prior to installing the Sony, I was using a Memorex cd with Nero 5.5. As you said I'm sure that the system could do the job if a bit slow. I've just tried a purchased DVD and the sound is actually faster than the film. The sound is also breaking up as well.

I will have more time over the holidays so I will experiment then. Thanks for the help guys have a merry xmas and a happy new year :)