1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! Vista and PowerDVD don't mix

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by nutty_cop, May 18, 2007.

1. nutty_cop

nutty_cop Member

Appreciate it if you can help me out with this. My Vista doesn't play DVD with clear image when playing with PowerDVD. I can see small blocks and blocks image, I think people refer to it is artifact or something. Anyway, that doesn't happen when playing with WMP. How can I correct this? I have vista premium and powerdvd 7.0 ultra. Thanks in advance for reading this and if you can help me out.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  3. nutty_cop

nutty_cop Member

Thanks for the link. That one didn't install since my build wasn't compatible. Thank you Vista... who the hell are you. I thought you were my friend.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Have you tried uninstalling PowerDVD, and re-installing?
    Maybe something didn't go quite right, on the first install?

It may be a known issue at Cyberlink. Send them an email about it. They may know the fix.
    http://www.cyberlink.com/
    Good luck!

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  5. erpman_4

erpman_4 Member

are you absolutely sure you are using PowerDVD 7 Ultra, nutty_cop? you might be using the regular version of PowerDVD 7 instead of the ultra version. the patches for PowerDVD Ultra only work for the ultra editions and NOT the regular editions of PowerDVD and vice-versa. please check carefully on what edition of PowerDVD you have on your computer.

Patches for PowerDVD 7.0 (regular edition) found here:
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_ENU.html
    and patches for PowerDVD 7.0 Ultra edition found here:
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_112_ENU.html

Cyberlink has just released new patches for both regular and ultra editions of PowerDVD 7.0. build 3104a for PowerDVD 7 Ultra and build 3118 for PowerDVD 7 regular. download the correct patch for your edition of the PowerDVD 7 software.

6. erpman_4

erpman_4 Member

I think I've found the problem with the latest patches for PowerDVD 7.x. They are NOT for PowerDVD 7.0, they're actually for PowerDVD Ultra and PowerDVD regular edition version 7.3!!! (that's right, 7.3, NOT 7.0).
    These latest patches use the Windows Installer to update the PowerDVD program.

Cyberlink needs to do a better job specifying which SPECIFIC versions of PowerDVD these patches work on or they should revise their patches. It wasn't really Vista's fault. It's more likely Cyberlink's fault for releasing patches that don't work for certain specific versions, in this case 7.0 when they are really for version 7.3.

well, JVC, it looks like nutty_cop will have to remove PowerDVD Ultra 7.0 and purchase PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and then apply the latest 7.3 patch available. Version 7.3 uses the MSI Windows Installer to setup PowerDVD while version 7.0 uses the InstallShield installer to install PowerDVD.

the latest powerdvd 7.x patches can't detect version 7.0 and really require 7.3 in order for the patches to work

7. nutty_cop

nutty_cop Member

Thanks for the links and info. I got it working with true ultra version or something. Looks pretty good except when I try to magnify it. Then something jitter happens. O well.