1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with shrink/nero burn speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by esejamie, Feb 21, 2005.

1. esejamie

esejamie Member

I recently got a Mad Dog dvd burner (id is VOM-Artec) and I've been using Lead Data 4x Dvd-r's with no troubles (burning at 4x). It came with OEM Nero 6.3 and I've used Shrink and set it to burn automatically with Nero. I ran out of the Lead Data and bought some cheap blanks just to mess around with (id as MUST, they are GQ 4x) and I also bought some new Ridata 8x. The trouble is that now when I use Shrink/Nero, it burns the cheap GQ at 6x and Ridata at 8x. All I get are errors or discs that don't play back right. I know to be reliable you should burn at 4x, but my problem is that I can't get Shrink/Nero to burn slower. When I go to the change speed tab on Shrink, my only options are Max or 8x (same with just using Nero alone). I tried using the Nero CD/DVD Drive Speed program to adjust it, and that didn't stop the fast burning. The 'My Computer' drive settings in Windows didn't do anything either. I just tested Decrypter with both brands of blanks and it let me burn them at 2x or 4x (and the discs came out fine). I don't understand why Shrink and Nero only have Max and 8x in the drop down speed box. I've looked around for an answer to explain this but I couldn't find anything. I know I will be needing to use Shrink sometime so I would like to figure out why there's no 4x option. I would appreciate anyones help/opinion though. Thanks a lot.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not sure on this one? but you can always output an iso from dvd shrink to burn in dvd decrypter

i would say get newest nero and update firmware for drive!

3. esejamie

esejamie Member

Thanks for the reply. Right after I got the drive I actually did update my Nero to the newest version. But when I went to play a dvd on Showtime, the sound was messed up (popping in and out). A message came up saying I would have to purchase the multichannel plug-in. I looked for info about it but it seems like all I could do to fix it is pay for the plug-in (which I can't afford to do). So I went back to the original version. I've also checked the Mad Dog website for firmware updates but there are none listed for my drive. I guess I will have to use Shrink to make an ISO and use Decrypter. It was just really easy and convenient to use Shrink/Nero and I was used to it. Anyway thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

5. florinadi

florinadi Member

Hi there, I have a somehow similar problem.
    It's about a Teac DV-W516GA burner and a Memorex CDRW 16x/24x.
    I can only select 16x or 24X speeds, both resulting in a faulty burn. I used to write this CD (with my old CD writer) at lower speeds.
    Tried initially with my older Nero, then upgraded to 6605 and retried, same problem. No firmware update available.
    When there is no CD in drive, Nero displays more speeds, including lower, so the burner supports them. As soon as I put the CD in and Nero reads it, I only get 16 and 24.
    Now, I cannot use DVD Decryptor cause it's only for DVDs. Is there any other way I can adjust Nero's "smart" decision over the speed range?
    Alternatively, is there another smarter burning software out there that I could use?

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Esejamie:

Try doing what Rotary said. I would suggest making an ISO on your computer and then burning with Nero or DVD Decrypter.

You can burn cd-r(w) with Decrypter, you just can't read them :)

7. esejamie

esejamie Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. I did start using Decrypter to burn and haven't had problems. Rotary, that link isn't my drive (but thanks anyhow). When you buy a Mad Dog you can end up with an NEC drive or Artec. The link was for the NEC and I have the Artec. I have been burning with Dvd-R's because they seem to work better in my players. I will have to check out Power Dvd when I get the chance. Anyway thanks again.