1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with XVID and Vorbis codecs

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by ebermu01, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

ok i am trying to burn .avi files now i done it before with nero and it worked fine but i got this new files that doesnt even let me add them to the project all i get is a message saying unable to insert the file i looked the difference in the files i can and cant burn and i found only one difference codecs the ones i cant have two codecs XVID and Vorbis i can play the files in the computer but i just cant burn them can anyone help me? thanks in advance

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If they really are avi's then my advice would be to delete them. Vorbis and avi don't mix well at all. Decent chance that they are infact ogm's though.

3. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

are you sure there is nothing i can do i really dont want to delete them i can play them perfectly with nero or any other player
    thanks for your advice but can anyone else give me some advice on how to burn them on a dvd?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

So you are sure that they are avi's? Try something like GSpot to check.

5. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

oh it seems that the files are ogg!! but they have .avi extension?
    these is the output:
    File Type: Ogg Media
    Mime Type: application/x-ogg

i got but when i run the codec test i get this message:

Warning: DirectShow crashed while attempting to render this file.

This is usually due to damaged, misconfigured, conflicting, or poorly written codec drivers. It is possible, perhaps even likely, that other media players will crash when they attempt to play this file as well, as most of them will also use DirectShow. Although GSpot was able to intercept the crash, attempts to identify the codec which caused it have failed. Unfortunately, no additional information is available at this time.

any idea on what to do? (except delete them?) thanks for your help

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

They are ogm's. ogm != ogg. Yeah was quite common in the early days of ogm for people to use the avi extension to avoid associating with players, etc. Some SAP's as I understand it will actually playback ogm's to if they have the avi extension.

I wouldn't delete them. Tobias created ogm specifically so he could have Xvid video and vorbis audio without the problems of avi, so there is no problem.

You would need to check what filters you are using for ogm playback. Basically you have Tobias' original filters, some modified ones based on an older release of his, Gabest's splitter, Radlight's filter, Illuminable's and Haali's splitter. Then in terms of vorbis decoders you have the built in ones from Tobias filter, radlight and illuminable along with Gabest audio filter, CoreVorbis and ffdshow.

Also possible that there is something wrong with the files. You could test them in mplayer or VLC which both using internal splitters, decoders, etc.

From your post it sounds like you wanted to convert to DVD video (wrong forum for that). If mplayer plays them ok, then you could use mencoder with -ovc copy -oac pcm to remux to avi with pcm audio. Nero shouldn't have any problems converting that.

7. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

ok i dont think i get what you suggest i should do?
    i can play them ok the problem is that i cant burn them with any program i tried nero, converttodvd, and dvdsanta but none of them work.
    could you explain indetail what should i do and how?
    thanks for your help

8. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

ok i tried to converting the file from Vorbis to pcm using Riverpast video cleaner but the app crashes when i add the files?
    what other program could i use?

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I would still recommend mencoder. ConvertXtoDVD being ffmpeg based though should convert ogm's just fine.

10. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

i cant seem to find mencoder? i google it but all i found so far are broken links and links to mplayer i found only versions for linux and macs

i finally got the video cleaner to work but it doubles the size of the file. could you point me in the right direction on where to find this mencoder?

thank you so much you were of a lot of help

11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

mencoder is part of mplayer. Often (always in my case) the two are bundled together. With what I was suggesting the filesize could easily double since I was talking about decoding the audio to PCM. The reason for this is that you were converting to DVD, so the audio would be re-encoded again anyway. Something like mp3 would be much smaller, but take longer to encode and cause quality loss.

12. ebermu01

ebermu01 Member

ok well i solved my problem
    again tanks for your help celtic_d you really helped me