1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by #Ed, Dec 7, 2003.

1. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yes I know XP does not have them but it still leaves a void in my mind....

It may be because the O/S is setup to utilise the standard of other proggies.....but I do not know.......

I have XP and backup dvd/ps2 games with no issues at all......

I do not have any ASPI on my system in any form and yet I keep reading all these recommendations to update/download the latest versions of ASPI....

Why does everyone recommend this, what exactly does it solve by doing it?

Koola..

I clearly do not need the ASPI, I understand what you are saying regarding the interface etc....but they are not important for me and I am trying to find out exactly what the contrast is between ASPI/ATAPI and why when doing something via ATAPI does not work but when loading ASPI it cures it......

Sorry for rambling, I should really start a new thread........_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  2. #Ed

#Ed Member

If you want to ramble BaaBaa then carry on m8

3. #Ed

#Ed Member

I aint got a f**kin clue

4. koola

koola Guest

Many programs now come with ASPI drivers of their own like Nero etc, but many still do not.
    This is why the ASPI layer is so important as it the main layer used on your system from audio to DVD etc.

You mentioned ATAPI, this is another useful layer which does not get the credit it deserves. You may have programs which will work fine on ATAPI, but many users (New to DVD) do not.

ATAPI is another layer which manages the hardware side of thing while ASPI is a driver layer managing the communications between hardware and software. ASPI is the better layer and the most used layer in DVD technology, like when you rip a DVD or burn a DVD etc.
    If I was you Baabaa (I wish I was a sheep, baa), I would install ASPI and open your computer up to better data handling, quicker software responces and more.

ASPI is a must!

Cheers :D

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Koola

Thankyou for that detailed answer....you are the only one to elaborate a little on this..

That makes a little more sense now.......the ASPI is based on SCSI standard so therefore transfer speed is controlled by the software and not the actual devices (hardware managers) and I can see the advantages in data rate transfer in terms of audio/video/multi-layered streams etc........

However it still gives me headblag with reference to my own PC....

Everything runs like a bullet dvd backups from start to finish 40-45mins....
    On the fly burning - dvd/ps2/cd etc.....no issues, no buffer under runs etc.....
    All utilising the original setup within XP (ATAPI) and no ASPI in sight........

Am I just lucky........?

I agree with you regarding updating to the ASPI system and 'open your computer up to better data handling, quicker software responces and more'.

But do I need to....

I believe that XP is setup for the software it is going to run to invoke the softwares 'own' layering system etc.....

And with that I also think that because there are so many ASPI layers floating around....when you have slightly different ones on the same PC then this in itself could invoke conflicts.......do you think maybe?

I shall be sticking with my ATAPI setup until there is a need for me to update to ASPI.....at the moment I cannot see the point (for me ) to do it.....as I do not see where I would benefit........

Thanks for your input.....nice to see some people are on the ball rather than just following the crowds........(no offense intended to anyone)....cheers Koola

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The whole reason to update ASPI is to get your system to "run like a bullet" so if you're already there - no need.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

My moto precisly......

It seems pretty evident to me that it is the 'bugs' within the original ASPI that is compiled within the software used OR the compatibility with that layer and other ASPI installed applications that seem to be causing problems for a lot of people........I am probably wrong but it all seems to point in that direction..........

I have just sorted out a friends PC with a burner which would not work correctly with ANY ASPI related software........basically had to dump ALL ASPI related software and files and revert to the ATAPI structure....and now it's running a treat (on XP)........

The saga continues...................

8. #Ed

#Ed Member

Can you explain to me how i change to this ATAPI way of doing things??? If its poss on my machine? i'm running Xp!
    Cheers

9. koola

koola Guest

Hi Baabaa,
    You sure are, most people would love your setup on ATAPI, but most of the new hardware/software is using ASPI now and so thats why I tell people to install/update their ASPI.
    Did you try Nero 6, as it uses ASPI?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

#ed....
    sorry did not manually remove them......uninstalled the proggies and ran the aspichk proggies to make sure they were removed.......

Koola
    funnily enough his burner came with version 6....

It was the initial version (and not the lastest update) and guess what....no go....

Sometimes successful sometimes not........buffer under runs the lot......

They are running XP like mine (although PC specs are different).....

Checked out all the IDE connections/80 way ribbons/dma settings etc beforehand just to make sure there was nothing obvious being overlooked......

Anyways rather than downloading the latest updates etc....I decided to get rid of the ASPI stuff......only Nero had it on his machine so I knew there was not any conflicts with other ASPI related software.....

Put on Recordnowmax version 4 (very old) worked straight off the bat.....upgraded it to DX 4.5 and it is running smooth.....again no ASPI just ATAPI......

LOL....in fact I have uploaded the aspichk program and keep running it cos (especially with all the ASPI related issues here)I am still amazed that I still have no ASPI........

Just for curiousness....which is the latest OFFICIAL version of ASPI and does Nero use this official version (ie paid for the license to use it)?

Another question, lets say you had a proggie on running an older version of the ASPI and then installed a proggie running a newer version.....do you think there could be any conflicts caused by this when trying to run any of the proggies then?

Actually I must apologise to #Ed......sorry for leading your thread of topic....it maybe linked to your initial problem.....

Have you had any success yet?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003