1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's a question:

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by PopWeasel, Mar 6, 2003.

1. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Does anyone have a snazzy solution for transcoding .ac3 audio into .mp3 and/or .wav? While the process I've developed (through trial and error!) does seem to work, it is kinda convoluted and I was wondering what's the one step (or even two step) way to do it. Thanks._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ogres are like ONIONS!![/small]

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

It depends on your source. I am assuming a DVD, if so, just Rip with SmartRipper or DVDD, then Demux (De Multiplex) with DVD2AVI. This will give you two files, video and audio. The audio will be .wav

:)

Paul.

3. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Interesting. I'm using DVD2Avi on my ripped vobs to extract the audio but the output I end up with is .ac3. What settings are you using to get .wav from DVD2Avi? My settings are:
    AUDIO
    Track Number: None
    Channel Format: Auto Select
    Dolby Digital: Demux All Tracks
    Dynamic Range Control: Light
    Dolby Surround Downmix: Yes
    Mpeg Audio: Demux
    48 -> 44.1Khz: Off
    Under MP3 Compress - Use - , "Disable" is selected and I can't change this setting to any of the other options.

What part am I missing?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

PopWeasel,
    Are you just wanting the audio from these dvd rips? Or will you go DVD2DivX (encode)?

Shoey

5. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Shoey
    I'm extracting dvd audio for the purpose of muxing with the video that I've ripped from the same dvd and encoded to divx already. Any ideas?

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'm still a little misunderstood here. Did you already rip& encode the movie to your hard drive? Using Programs Like Vidomi "muxes" the audio for you and also creates a seperate audio file in the encode process.

Shoey

7. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Yes, the question is "Does anyone have a good way to transcode .ac3 into .mp3 or .wav." Thanks.

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You said you already encoded the dvd to divx. If the audio is in sync, then why the need to convert ac3 to mp3 or wave?

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2003
  9. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Because I'm encoding the video and audio seperately, Shoey. Do you have a good way to transcode .ac3 to .mp3 or .wav?

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Do you have a good way to transcode .ac3 to .mp3 or .wav?
    A: No, because I don't need to PopWeasel. Like I said before, use Vidomi to encode BOTH video& audio= saves much hassle. Vidomi produces superior video quality using the "right" encoder and the sound is great too.

Shoey

11. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

I did try Vidomi and got less-than-desirable results. I'm getting much better quality with DVDx except that the audio isn't acceptable. From what you say maybe it's worth taking another look at Vidomi. Does it let you do 2-pass with DivX 5.0.3?

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I haven't tested DivX 5.03 because I'm comfortable with MPEG4 DivX 3x. You can go 2 pass(vbr/cbr) so I encourage you to at least test the program and compare results. I was in error when I said that Vidomi also makes an seperate audio file (oopps).

Shoey

13. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Shoey,
    Thanks for the correction to your earlier post. If I'm ever in the position where I wanted or needed a separate audio file after encoding audio and video simultaneously at least I won't go pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make Vidomi do it cause "Shoey said it would!" hehe.. Maybe we can compare results in a couple of days... ;)

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'll be MORE than happy to send you "samples" of my dvd2divX (Vidomi/xvid) to you. Send me a pm. All my dvd2divx backups are at least 2 cd's and audio is ripped at 224 kbps. Some are ac3 2 channel, the majority ac3 6 channel. Pick a movie and we'll both encode and send via postal mail... This will be substantial proof that Vidomi& Gordian Knot produce superior video quality, lol.

Shoey

15. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

You're on! (j/k) Right now I'm working on backing up my 'Band of Brothers' 5-disc set (dvd-2-divx). There's 2 parts per dvd and I'm almost finished with disc 1 part 1. Probably by tomorrow I will start disc 1 part 2.

Here's the thing: you gotta see what the best encode is that you can fit on a single 700MB disc. Because with enough space and a high enough bitrate, any codec and encode utility in existence will do the job. I can fit slightly over 2hrs on a 700MB disc, to give you an idea of what to shoot for.

Points go to movie length and quality of video and audio. This should get us squeezing every last drop of bitrate and disc space!

This will give us a good idea of what the other guy is talking about and will make it less like comparing apples and oranges, eh?
    When we are ready to exchange I can give you a logon to my ftp server.
    May the best man win. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA......hehe

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

First of all compressing video to fit on 1 cd-r (700 mb) will decrease the video quality. You should know that if you do DVD2SVCD backups. There's no fair way to say who's encode is better. My point was to show you with your naked eye viewing my dvd2divx backups that Vidomi& Gordian Knot produce top quality video playback. How many discs it takes to make backups of divx or svcd is no concern to me whatsoever. if you wan't me to send samples, I'll send but there's no "winner" here m8. Good to hear your backing up the series Band Of Brothers. I've ripped& encoded the 1st 4 episodes and have 6 more to go (svcd). I'm on 56k soo I'll send my samples via postal mail, just name 2 movies and I'll encode, send.

Shoey

17. lasiter

lasiter Member

As I write this im burning my 8th episode vcd of the band of brothers series using my old trusty 4 part application series of smartripper,flaskmpeg,virtualdub and tempeng with the divx 5 series of codec for compression. And getting a great quality out of each episode on the average of 681 meg size per disk. I just really noticed a huge difference in the quality from switching from the divx 4 pack to 5 alot less dithering and melt spots just wanted to throw that in.

18. GemNEye

GemNEye Member

Download BeSweet and the BeSweet GUI.

It will directly transcode .AC3 audio to .MP3 (using AZID and LAME) audio with proper Dolby Surround downmixing.

** AZID .DLL and LAME .DLL are included in the Besweet package.

19. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

lasiter, thanks for the comparison info...

GemNEye, thanks for the BeSweet info... I've been using Gordian Knot as a front-end for BeSweet but I wanted to try something else...and now I know what that something else is! I shall give it a try.

Thanks for the info guys.

20. Shoey

Shoey Guest

PopWeasel,
    What is "that something else"?. I gotta know m8! (hehe). PM me if you have to, lol.

Shoey