1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I recover data from disks with CRC errors?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by seleneV, Apr 23, 2007.

1. seleneV

seleneV Member

I archived hundreds of DVD's a year or two ago. I used various brands of DVD-R's, but it turns out that every Ritek 8X I burned now has CRC errors when I try to read it on my NEC ND-3520AW. I originally burned the discs using this drive.

When I try to read the discs using my Samsung TS-H352A (a DVD-ROM drive), it can read about 90% of the Ritek's without a problem.

How can I recover the remaining discs? Is there a drive with more powerful or accurate lasers?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can try CD Roller or ISO Buster, but they aren't free.

Have you tried copying them to your hard drive with the NEC?

3. seleneV

seleneV Member

I was copying a bunch of archival DVD's to my hard drives when I discovered all the Ritek's were having major problems.

I did try using software before a long time ago, but it never worked well. Once a drive reads a CRC error, it seemed to get stuck on it.

I was wondering if there is a drive that is well known for being able to read anything. The Samsung seemed a lot better than the NEC, so I was thinking perhaps there might be an even better choice. I'd rather buy a new drive, instead of losing all that data.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't know if any drive will read them. It may be possible, though.