1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can u speed up avi to dvd conversions?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by logikal1, Jan 14, 2004.

1. logikal1

logikal1 Member

Im using tmpgenc 2.5 plus and i have 10 avi files that i want to put on dvd but it takes like an 2hrs each to convert them is there a faster way to speed up the process?

2. sajota

sajota Member

Try using DS2ROBA with CCE. It works fine with me. I encode a 1:57 hour movie in about 1:15 hour. You can use this programm in combination with DVD2SVCD and compile the DVD with DVD Maestro or an other authoring software. Please let me know if it works...

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

I also Use CCE 2.67 but with AVISynth and On My System I have encoded files to SVCD at 5 times Real Time but I usually get about 2.0-2.5 times real time when going to Standard DVD without any Filters so a 2 hour movie takes under an hour to encode when useing CCE with AVISynth on My 2.8ghz P-4 w512ddr-333mhz,..Useing AVISynth is great because you get access you literally Dozzens of different Filters which are some of the best Video filters there are and it allows you to encode Practicly any format with CCE Like AVI/Mpg/WMV/ASF/Mov/AC3/Vob ect but it is a Little tricky to learn....Cheers

4. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Hi Minion,
    I am very curious to know whether I am also able to speed up Avi to DVD conversion times. My system is not as fast as yours I'm using a Pentium 3, 700mhz, 500mb ram system. It took my machine a whole week to encode the Two Towers. 3 days just for any standard 90 min film. Would I also benefit from using this CCE 2.67 program? And AviSynth? I've never used them, but if I could get a week of encoding down to a day at least, then it would be worth it. Or is my system too slow for this?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you are going to do any Regular Encodeing you should really get a faster CPU...My First PC which My Mother uses now was a Celeron 800mhz and it would take Really long Like 12-48 hour to encode a Movie sometimes ...I encode 6 Mivies Last Night in about 4 hours encodeing to VCD Resolution Mpeg2 files and that wasn"t even useing CinemaCraft encoder, That was useing Canopus ProCoder 1.5 which is known for being notoriusly slow, as slow or slower than tmpgenc...To answer your Question yes you would get Faster encodeing useing CCE and AVISynth even on your System and I think your system just passes the Minimum system requirements as long as you are running XP,2000 or NT you can"t use Win 95 or 98....But the Problem is learning how to use them , AVISynth is a Very Advanced system to use so you have to really know your way arround a Computer and you have to learn how to write avs Scripts as AVISynth does not have an Interface and it"s Functions are implemented by writeing a sort of Code on Notepad so you have to learn how to write these scripts and you have to Know a Lot about the Specifics of every file you are encodeing ,It is very Complex ,you can learn more about AVISynth here :http://www.avisynth.org/ ..Instead of Useing AVISynth as your Frameserver there are other Frameservers you can use ,You can even use Tmpgenc as a frameserver to CCE through VFAPI but this method can be slow ,the better one becodes AVISynth would be to use Virtual-Dub as the Frameserver to CCE which would be a Lot easier to learn for you than AVISynth...You will have to find a working version of CCE SP 2.67 which there are probbably a lot of hacked versions floating arround...You can also just Upgrade your PC which would be the More practical ,I have hooked a Couple of poeple on this Forum with the guy I get my Motherboard/CPU combo"s From which I could do for you also, he has awesome deals on Motherboard/CPU combo"s, Like I just Picked up about a Month ago 2 Intel 2.5ghz CPU with ECS Motherboard with 8X AGP and ATA/133 Combo"s for $115 each which is Cheaper than you would pay for just the CPU if you got it retail and these are Brand New parts, Or if you would rather go Athlon I also got a couple Athlon XP 2200+ CPU/Motherboard combo"s for $99 each ,So with an Intel 2.5ghz or an Athlon XP 2200+ you wouldn"t have to worry about waiting for a week to encode a few movies ,you wouldn"t have to worry about your PC being too slow to do anything anymore and these Motherboards can also let you upgrade your CPU in the Future, ..The guy i get mt stuff from sells his stuff on E-Bay so if you want to check it out I can give you a Link to his selling Page and you can contact him to try to get what you need cuz what he sells on his selling page isn"t everything he has access to....well anyways Cheers

6. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Thanks Minion, yes you are quite right I do need to upgrade my system. I'm trying to do too much on the poor thing. Those prices you quoted are very competitive indeed. I'm UK based so if your friend ships international then I wouldn't mind checking out his site. Money is a bit tight at the moment, I just recently forked out £120.00 on a 200gb hard drive. But as soon as I get flushed a new CPU & Motherboard will be top of my list. 6 movies in 4 hours wow! That's fast.
    As for now though, I will fight on with what I have got. Tell me, even though you say CCE SP is faster encoding, how much faster? Do you think I could encode say a standard movie within a day? If so I don't mind that for now.
    Are there any similar guides\tutorials available for this CCE SP software? And what is this frameserver thing? Is it essential to use it with CCE SP?
    I'm quite new to this encoding thing, and all I've done so far is follow the standard Afterdawn guides step by step using TMPGEnc.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi ,I"m not sure if my CPU/Mobo Guy ships Internationally But It is worth checking out to see if he will..You Paid 120£ for a 200gb HD is that 120 Euro"s or 120 Pounds?? I just Picked up a 160gb Hard drive For $80 US on e-bay which I though was a Pretty Awesome Deal as they sell for 3 Times that Here in Canada Retail....Yes CCE would speed up your Encodeing Cuz it is the Fastest Encoder on the Market but you would Have to Frameserve with it Unless your Source Files have the Exact same Resolution as the Mpeg file you want to create which in Most Cases it will Not...CCE also sells for $2000 Retail So as you can tell from the Price it is a very Advanced Encoder, You might find it easier to use an encoder called "MainConcept Encoder" which is about 3 times as fast as Tmpgenc and about half ther speed of CCE, It is easy to use a Produces Quality compareable to Tmpgenc"s Quality and you do not need to Frameserve which is a Bonus...See if you Like the speed of that encoder before you try getting into CCE because it is a Lot more Complicated....Cheers

8. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Hi Minion,
    You're right Main Concept Encoder is definitely faster. It took 7 hours to encode Finding Nemo Xvid to DVD, and the whole movie is in sync as well. Compared to TMPGEnc 36 hours and not being in sync. There is however a difference in quality. TMPGEnc version is much better quality.
    Is there a way I can configure Main Concept Encoder to encode in the highest quality, rather than accepting the standard default settings? If so then I am definitely sticking to this one. Also I couldn't find the settings which enable you to change the finished size so it can fit on a 4.7gb DVD. Instead I had to use DVD shrink to compress the authored files to fit to the right size.
    As for the hard disk it costs (£)120 pounds. UK is not using Euros', well not yet anyway. As you've also gathered parts are very expensive over here. I usually buy either online or at Computer Fairs.
    WHat's the URL of your friend? I'd quite like to check it out.
    Thanks Minion.

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Yes there are settings if Mainconcept that will Greatly Improove the Quality...Run MC then click the "details" Button and were it says "Search method" and "Search Range" move the sliders all the way to the Top to 15 and 31 respectively...Then click the "advanced" button and it will take you to were you can adjust your Bitrate, You should Never be Useing DVD-Shrink to re-compress the Folders made bt Tmpgenc DVD author because they are too big to fit on a DVD-R ,You should Choose the Correct Bitrate in the First Place so the File size so the File is the Correct size after encodeing to Mpeg2..You can use a Bitrate Calculator to Figure out the Bitrate you should be useing so the File will fit on DVD because Recompression useing DVD Shrink will Just serve to Further degrade the Quality...Or you can try to use these Numbers to calculate the bitrate you should use , A 120 Minute avi File will Fill Up a DVD-r as a DVD if you use an average Bitrate of 4700kbs for Video and 384kbs for the Audio but getting your own Calculator would be better...And useing a 12 frame GOP should give you better Quality also, and Make sure you allways choose "Layer 2" as the audio format because LPCM takes up Far too much space on a DVD...I"m sure if you follow these Simple rules you will get Much better Quality...Cheers

10. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Hey Minion, you're the top man. It all worked a treat. I'm really pleased with the results.
    It only took an extra three hours, 10hrs in total for the best quality. Until I get a new system Main Concept is the one for me.
    Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004